4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC - Acer XB280HK

Associate
Well, the wait was worth it! The only downside is that after getting used to a 4K desktop it makes a regular HD monitor look pretty grainy in comparison.

Windows 10 paired with a 980 seems to work well, using the same DPI enhancements as was found in Windows 8.1. Things such as Steam look a bit blurry, but not unbearably so.

My old 3D Vision Acer screen is now playing second fiddle to the 4K Acer screen and it shows up a few Windows anomalies. Run Winver, for example, and it looks fine on either monitor. Drag the window from one to the other and you see it resizing DPI-wise on the fly. Other programs such as Task Manager can only run at one DPI setting, so dragging it from the 4K to the HD screen just makes it appear *massive* on the HD screen.

Browsers and such seem to just work, with Firefox knowing that one screen is high DPI and the other isn't.

Games wise - I was surprised to see that WoW ran fullscreen with everything on Ultra or High at mostly 59-60fps (it was doing 110-120fps on the old HD monitor, or around 70fps with my old 670). Flying to a more complicated area in the middle of Pandaria took that down to the low to high 50s and it still looked pretty darned smooth, not quite as smooth as the old 120Hz monitor but much better than the less-than-60 fps would suggest. Diablo 3 runs at an effortless 60 throughout; I'll need to run some more demanding games to give it a full workout!

For those with 980s and somewhat less demanding games, 4K is here. And it's sharp!

Last edited:
Associate
I currently run AMD 6100 3.30 Ghz and gtx MSI 970. Just bought this monitor, currently using a LED TV and wanted to upgrade to a monitor. I doubt i can run 4k very well, what do you guys think? I'll be getting it anyway because the picture alone will be better at 1080p than my tv ha.

Associate
spoke to a chap on the phone around an hour ago. according to him, absolutely no due date on the next batch (in fact, the next batch havent even been ordered by OCUK at this present time). They were "suprised" by the batch arriving early, and since then have no word or ETA on any subsequent batches.

OcUK Staff
spoke to a chap on the phone around an hour ago. according to him, absolutely no due date on the next batch (in fact, the next batch havent even been ordered by OCUK at this present time). They were "suprised" by the batch arriving early, and since then have no word or ETA on any subsequent batches.

No idea what our sale guy must have being smoking.......

We ordered a few hundred on a single purchase order, 37pc arrived and were all shipped. We have over hundred due end of next week which will clear all pre-orders and give us spare stock at which point the price will go up.

Associate
No idea what our sale guy must have being smoking.......

We ordered a few hundred on a single purchase order, 37pc arrived and were all shipped. We have over hundred due end of next week which will clear all pre-orders and give us spare stock at which point the price will go up.

wuuuuuuuuuuuut how bizarre! I actually asked him what he reccommend i do in terms of my order and he said that if he were me i'd cancel it, though in the end i decided to wait on hearing an update from here. I'll hang on till the end of next week if this is the case then.

Soldato
Would G-Sync get rid of the horrible input lag that you get with v-sync?
I tried 4k@60hz and I had a choice of either insane tearing or really bad input lag. It wasn't great.

Back
Top Bottom