4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC - Acer XB280HK

bee

bee

Associate
stuck at work and didn't read the forums, i noticed them in stock at £499 then i was busy for a short while, came back to order and now they're £560 :(, definitely not ordering at that price

Associate
The price went up at 1400hrs judging by Gibbos post, £60 increase of pure profit now makes it off putting! I was tempted by one but with how monitors have been lately it makes me not want to pre order but see how people get on with it 1st. But now £60 more ill think ill give it a miss

Associate
You can still pick them up for that price (499) if you shop around. I would wait it out see what other buyers think first to see what the problems are. there will be a flood of Gsync`s in the new year and IPS screen not just TN.

Associate
Yeah I suppose I should wait but I'm using a old dell st2310 monitor and I feel its holding the experience back quite a few notches! lol
The monitor market is such a minefield at the moment though its giving me a headache trying to choose and set a budget that I will stick too.

bee

bee

Associate
I didn't bother waiting, noticed they were in stock at the original price elsewhere on saturday and ordered (they're now at £560 too :( ), it got delivered yesterday lol , gotta love dpd . will just list some pro's and con's in general and vs the swift (had 2 but rma'd)-

+the resolution is very nice indeed, max resolution here before this was 1080p, it obviously blows that away but is also noticeably more detailed than 1440p aswell

+no inversion effects that plagued both my swift models

+ no backlight bleed or dead pixels

+ 780 sli/3gb vram copes fine at 4k

+ can't really notice the motion blur of 60hz too much, used 120hz panels for 5+ years now but it's pretty good in this regard

+ gysnc works just aswell as on 144hz panels

+ good quality stand that's easy to put together and fit, not as good as the swift though and certainly more flimsy

- only 60hz, so no ulmb mode only gsync, not a biggie though

- 4k is not ready for mainstream yet not by a long shot, i'm coming from a 3D vision surround set up so i'm used to constantly messing about getting things to work, it's no different here, some games work in 4k and lots of others don't (when you see the next game being marketed with a 4k bullet point next to it, no it's not just marketing)

- no joystick for monitors settings! every monitor should have one after using the swift

- acer splash screen at startup, not instant like the swift

- worse colours than the swift out of the box

may seem like i'm a little down on it but just pointing out some stuff, i'm actually really happy with it and it now complete's my 4 display setup, been trying lots of games to what they look like now, the resolution increase is just insane, switching my 1080p 120hz panel on isn't too pleasant anymore :p

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my monitor on Saturday running MSI 970 GPU and 4790k CPU. It runs beautiful at 4k and the game play extremely smooth. I'v played CSGO and Shadow of Mordor so far and runs amazing. Going to run Arma 3 tonight and give it a good test but overall a great monitor and would recommend to anyone.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I received mine yesterday and had a tinker with it. I mostly echo the sentiments of bee above, but a couple of things I'd like to add. I'm running a 4790k, MSI 980, vengeance 16gb.

I have perfect vision and the resolution is indeed insane. I sit about 2-2.5 feet away from the screen and I have to come closer to appreciate some of the distant detail. This is either a positive or a negative depending on your slant, but so far I'm on the fence with it. I feel I'm not actually getting the whole benefit of it unless I stop and smell the roses every now and then. My gut feeling is that 28" might be just too small for 4k.

I've been playing Archeage which is an absolute dogs dinner for optimised graphics so the frame rate frequently drops at 4k (actually it's not great at 1080p either). There is a big problem with the screen at lower refresh rates - it flickers very faintly, mostly in the upper region. I'm going to monitor this a little more tonight with other games as I've only tried Bioshock, Archeage and Dark Souls so far and the other 2 were fine. I will load up Metro as that will definitely push the frame rate down at 4k and let you know.

As for the G-Sync it is definitely a stutter killer. I didnt experience any stutter at all. That's not to say that when the frame rate drops you don't notice it. You do but it is much less jarring.

The finish of the product is pretty much as has been mentioned many times - it is not the highest quality but I also don't think it is the worst (I haven't taken all of the film off the bezel and stand yet tho). The bezel isn't as huge as some have mentioned, but I haven't seen the ROG Swift with my own eyes yet. The only noticeable irk is the bleed from the power light coming out around the sides of the clear plastic which I think is due to the bezel not lining up with it flush.

Overall I'm still not sure. If the flicker persists across games other than Archeage I will be returning it. I do feel that 28" is a little too small to fully appreciate 4k and I am wondering if I would have been better with 1440p. If you prefer smoothness over detail then I'd suggest going for the ROG Swift, but that's my theory on paper as I haven't seen it in the flesh. I imagine that without SLI you are going to have to put up with less than 60fps on a regular basis (I dread to imagine what GTAV would do to a 4k single GPU setup) and again this is both a positive and a negative because on the one hand you are getting use out of your G-Sync, but on the other you aren't getting the fastest visuals.

There is a ULMB setting on the OSD but it was greyed out. I would assume that this can be activated if G-Sync is switched off?

Associate
Awesome monitor.

Easy to install, wonderful design. Just I need an Nvidia Graphics card....I will get it soon.

Anyway, thank you for the service. I Have got a couple of questions:

What is overdrive for? As default it is normal but I could set it off or extreme.

There is one option that I cannot manage ,it is ULMB. What is it?

bee

bee

Associate
ulmb only works on high resfresh rate gysnc monitors like the swift (think it starts working at around 85hz?)

had mine since sunday now, really loving it, not played this many games in a long long time :) keep firing older games up just to see what they look like, getting really nice performance out of my 780sli but I would't go 4k without gysnc, with it the odd dip to 45fps or whatever is barely noticeable

Associate
As my order for the new 4k 24" dell has gone **** up i picked up one of these for only 100 quid extra and from a quick look it looks great. Will calibrate it soon and do more testing.

Associate
Whats the backlight bleed like on yours ? I've had to send my for repair as it was pretty bad out of the box.

Mine is perfect. Never had any cloudy TN panels to be honest only IPS ones. I think IPS are prone to BL bleed a lot more. You must have been pretty unlucky then. Hope you get yours sorted out.

Associate
Mine is perfect. Never had any cloudy TN panels to be honest only IPS ones. I think IPS are prone to BL bleed a lot more. You must have been pretty unlucky then. Hope you get yours sorted out.

I think IPS suffers from glow rather than bleed. I have the 4k2k and the bleed is annoying. I think maybe you were lucky rather than us being unlucky.

As the poster above mentioned it seems to be from the blue power light.

Soldato
Mine was all along the bottom and right hand side about 10mm and a small patch on the upper left. It was enough for it to be seen on the desktop in Apps and in some games for it to be annoying.
Its been a bit of a pain as I really liked it more than the Swift I currently have. I have chased it up and they are replacing the LCD panel. All this on a £500 monitor less than a month old.

Back
Top Bottom