4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC - Acer XB280HK

Soldato
Just checked status of my repair and was shocked to see it closed. Although I have not checked my emails today.
UPS tracking shows its being delivered back to me today. Crossing everything its in tip top condition.
Will post later this evening once I have tried it.

Soldato
Well its come back and the packing was amazing never seen anything like it looked like the monitor was encompassed in a massive air filled Cylon mothership.

Unfortunately the bleed does not look much better. Not entirely sure but you could say its the same as though the panel was not even replaced.

Side by side with the Asus Rog Swift. The dilema is the imaqe quality is a lot better than the Asus Rog Swift its quite noticeable especially on a white screen. The Acer is pure white but the Swift has a kind of grey speckle sheen to the screen so its like looking through a light fog. Also the font on the Acer is pin sharp whilst the Swift is slightly blurred.

Just looked at it again and I think the bleed is slightly better. After reading the Asus thread and all the problems people are having coupled with the image quality the Acer wins it for me.

Soldato
Its not a very good picture and I dont have one before. Its definitely better across the bottom not sure about the right hand side though.

20hzir.jpg

Soldato
Is that a completely black screen? Kinda looks uniformly blue all around and a big bluish tint in the middle. Not great:(

Yeah it is a black screen its just my phone camera not being great.
Its the blank screensaver screen. Its not really blue.

The Rog has a lot better black level but the white level is rubbish. Also after using the Acer for an hour or so the image quality is sooo much better than the Rog.

I am sticking with it but I can see if other people had it they would not be happy.

Soldato
Downloaded the HD texture pack for Shadow of Mordor last night and ran the benchmark. With 4k no gsync, everything on Ultra/High including full AA option - FXAA with Motion blur etc there is a slight stutter and 40fps. Ran it again with gsync on and it was as smooth as butter and averaging 55fps. Looked absolutely amazing.

Associate
Not sure if any of you guys are aware but when g-sync hits the max frame rate the monitor supports, which of course on this monitor is 60fps you get added input lag. After testing if you use RTSS which is supplied with MSI afterburner and limit the frame rate on games to 59fps this will avoid the quite large amount of added input lag if you can run a game that high in the first place of course.

Associate
MINI USER REVIEW-

Calibrated the monitor last night using an i1 display pro (just using the monitor controls, didn't create an ICC profile) and it went really well. Got a perfect greyscale result and the colours are great but not 100% perfect but not out buy that much to matter (the Rog swift is slightly more accurate) The gamma also is great on the 2.2 preset. It has nice shadow detail at 2.05 - 2.1 and then follows between 2.2 and 2.3 flat the rest of the way. The gamma in games looks very rich with great shadow detail. Black levels are not quite as good on these 28" TN panels as the Rog swift or other new TN and IPS monitors but are not really an issue. Screen uniformity is fine with no obvious issues that stand out badly on a black screen.

Regarding g-sync it works how it normally does on a Rog Swift. You do have to implement the 59fps frame cap for games as mentioned in my previous post to avoid an input lag penalty. Once done the input lag is really low like any gaming monitor, feels circa the 5ms range.

Response times are virtually perfect. On the default normal setting tested on the Blurbusters website with scrolling UFO's over various coloured backgrounds there was no issue with ghosting on any shade and no overdrive artifacts. Testing Far cry 4 also proved this to be true. Panning the camera via joypad showed excellent clarity, the best a 60hz monitor can be. A truly excellent overdrive implementation accross all shades.

The monitor is well built but not as nice to look at as the slim bezel Rog swift but it's by no means ugly. The power led is rather bright and unlike the swift it doesn't change colour to indicate that g-sync is on. You can go into the OSD of the monitor to check though where it tells you the resolution and hz.

All in all the combination of 4k, g-sync, great image calibration, low input lag and excellent response times and overdrive with a solid stand and design makes a very nice 4k gaming monitor and a great compliment to my Rog swift.

kee

kee

Associate
I've had one of these for a few days (2nd unit, first arrived and wouldn't pick up signal from 3 different sources).

I accepted that there might be a little backlight bleed in some scenarios and in general been blown away by 4k in games and on the desktop.

Tried playing with my IDE colors the other night and noticed a horrible problem though, have tried to capture it with full screen desktop colours:

w0LdiMr.jpg

Big rounded oblong blob in the middle when a dark (non-black) image is displayed. The darkness at the top/mid and the brightness on left/right are from the room lighting and only picked up in the photo.

Is there anything I can do about this / is it an accepted symptom of this sort of display?

Back
Top Bottom