4x4Gb or 2x8Gb for new system?

Associate
Is there any difference? Apart from the obvious: using all slots and giving up on the possible upgrade in the future?

Also this is for a brand new build i7 7700k on Strix z270 F with Kraken x62. I'm planning to OC the CPU. Will it make any difference to the memory? Board supports up to 3866Mhz and that's what I was planning to install. Which memory should I be looking at?

Soldato
Personally I would go 2x8gb.
I've always found with 4x4gb it tends to limit my CPU overclock or cause some sort of instability as it put additional strain on the memory controller.

Associate
OP
Thx! Quick question then, my motherboard has memory slots marked 1.2V, so if a memory is advertised as 1.35V, does that mean it needs 1.35V to operate at advertised speeds? In other words will my mobo still support this memory or does it only support 1.2V and in result it will never allow the memory to reach it's full potential and so I need to buy memory that is marked at 1.2V?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
When I do, it won't boot. Screen remains black, and I have to switch it off with prolonged power button press, after which it comes back to default settings..

Associate
OP
ok can someone please tell me at what speed my memory operates now? This is all sooo confusing it makes me wonder, are we back in 1990s?? Just give me a simple info, like with the CPU speed somewhere, is it really so much to ask?? I have 2 sticks 8GB each. Details on the screenshots.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok, thank you for all your suggestions so far. I now have much better understanding of how the 'reporting' works, also use the command 'wmic memorychip get speed' to get the actual speed of each RAM stick. Looks like without OC my CPU I am able (without the XMP) reach 3773MHz setting up the timings provided on the SPD tab in CPUZ. I cannot reach 3866, after leaving BIOS the keyboard won't even 'light up', screen remains black and I have to force shut it pressing the Power button for a few seconds after which it goes back to 'safe mode'. I am however OC my CPU so I'm experimenting with memory settings. I'm using the built in Tweaker and am getting 4.94GHz on CPU (7700K) but that's also changing my Base Clock to 103 and in result my memory now has different timings. Will see how this goes.

edit: ok, there's no way I can use the 3866MHz, it just goes black whether I use XMP or set it up by hand.. Is it the memory or the MOBO issue? I'm exchanging the sticks for another pair and we shall see. If that won't work, I will go for Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) and see how it goes..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom