£5,000 daily commuter?

Associate
Hi all,

Looking to part exchange my 2011 Vauxhall Astra diesel (1.7 cdti sri) for something in the near future. I do a ~60 mile daily commute 4 days (mostly dual carriageway) a week so need a diesel. I also don't want anything too slow (+10 secs to 60) but needs to have good mpg (45+).

Looking to part exchange the Astra, and add a little cash (to bring it up to ~£5,000. What would you suggest, look at etc? I'm not too fussed about mileage as long as it's been looked after.

I was looking at the 3 series BMW (2 ltr diesel), but looks like the saloon's don't have folding rear seats, so a bit of a deal breaker (as do tip runs etc).

All ideas/suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

P.s. If there's a better way to spend the money (e.g. leasing/PCP) please let me know.

Man of Honour
This seems like a poor idea. Why would you trade a 2011 Astra in for a tatty end of life 3 series with perhaps the least reliable engine BMW ever made?

Man of Honour
What is that you want that the Astra doesn't offer you?

It seems you want a cheap economical commuter. But you appear to currently drive one? I can't imagine many cars for under 5k are worth upgrading to from a 2011 Astra.

Associate
Civic 1.6 i-DTEC should be attainable for £5k. The tourer holds the Guinness world record for MPG - 103 MPG average on an 8000 mile journey using a completely standard car.

The engine is 120ps / 300 Nm.

Soldato
don’t see the point of changing at that price point.

your alternatives would be golf/focus etc
Totally this seems like you just have the itch for a new car but in reality to get anything better or different enough to justify changing you need more money! Yes you could get a ropey old BMW or Audi but beyond badge snobbery it offers nothing to you. Stick with the ashtray and save some more money unless you have a really good reason to ditch it!

Underboss
like me, ive been wanting to change cars for a year or 2, keep looking, but end up keeping what i have, because im saving money, if i spend it on another car, i will "loose" money
onto my 6th year with my Focus (2009) , so reliable, its not worth me changing

Associate
What is the reason for changing cars? Sounds very much like you have a car that suits the bill already or are you just after a change? At that price point it will most likely be something about the same age as your current Astra? I paid about that much for my Passat CC about six months ago, cant complain about it been a good car for my commute to work. So maybe a Golf, Passat, one of the lads i work recently got a Accord touring for that same amount of money thats a really nice car. With out more information, to me it sound like you would be better off fineacually staying with the Astra.

Associate
OP
What is the reason for changing cars? Sounds very much like you have a car that suits the bill already or are you just after a change? At that price point it will most likely be something about the same age as your current Astra? I paid about that much for my Passat CC about six months ago, cant complain about it been a good car for my commute to work. So maybe a Golf, Passat, one of the lads i work recently got a Accord touring for that same amount of money thats a really nice car. With out more information, to me it sound like you would be better off fineacually staying with the Astra.

So I'm having a problem with the Astra where when I'm accelerating it will stutter (as if there's a problem with the turbo). It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's quite unnerving. Anyway, as I was considering changing anyway I thought it would be a good time to change, rather than spend money on the Astra.

However, this weekend I've realised that I can't quite afford to buy any cars that I actually want, so I've booked the Astra in at Vauxhall to get it diagnosed and find out what's causing the stuttering problem. Once resolved (if it's not too expensive), I'll spend a bit of money on a second car that I actually want (something like an E46 coupe, that I've always wanted), and get enjoyment out of that.

Thanks for all your help and replies people.

Associate
so I've booked the Astra in at Vauxhall to get it diagnosed and find out what's causing the stuttering problem

You pays your money you makes your choices, but for a 2011 Astra do you not have a decent independent garage you can take the car to? Unless Vauxhall offer reduced prices for older vehicles you're likely overcharging yourself paying main dealer labour rates.

Back
Top Bottom