5.1 / 7.1 headsets ..are they any good?

Associate
Looking to buy a sound card (probably the d2x) and headset soon as my current headset is dying (standard plantronics £30 job). Is it worth spending a lot of 5.1/7.1 headsets? Are they a gimmick? Any particular headsets you would recommend? It must have a good quality mic as well as I do games casting.

Many thanks!

PW.

Man of Honour
The general consensus is that if you want decent quality the best you can go for is stereo headphones and a clip on mic. The soundcard should be able to do a very good job at simulating surround sound.

Associate
I don't have much experience with pc's but I know that 5.1 and 7.1 headphones are not what they're cracked up to be. A friend bought some 5.1's for console gaming, they were a joke compared to my Audio Technica A500's which are entry grade audiophile headphones. Your better off with some sennheiser 595's or the ones I mentioned. Remember though the AT's are closed (Better bass response) and the sennheiser's are open which creates a larger soundscape (Probably what your after). If a store near you lets you demo them it's well worth the trip.

Edit: I'd also like some info on clip on mics :)

I have the Corsair HS1 7.1 (stereo headset with simulated 7.1). They are the dogs.
They are also USB so can be plugged in easily, no ****ing around at the back of the pc with audio inputs.

Brother got the Roccat Kave real 5.1 headset at the same time as me. The HS1 have better comfort and sound.
The mike is very clear on both headsets. A Skype conversation really made me realise how crap phone calls are!

Back
Top Bottom