5 days in Lisbon...what to see/do?

K-2

K-2

Associate
Hi guys. Flying out to Portugal next week with a couple of mates, spending approximately 4-5 days in Lisbon. Got my accommodation sorted and now just looking for any recommendations from anyone familiar with the city? Off the beaten track, non-touristy things and places frequented only by locals would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Soldato
Time Out Market, spend as long as you can there - it's utterly fantastic. It's a food hall but nothing like the St Enoch centre one!

Red Frog - a really good speakeasy style cocktail bar. Must make a reservation but it's worth it.
A Cevicheria - Great ceviche bar with a cool Octopus hanging over your head. It was near my airbnb but worth the trip. I went for lunch and it was brilliant. There's a lot of ceviche in Lisbon and it's generally all good.
Mini Bar - It's a restaurant, it's good fun and the food is brilliant (foie gras ferrero rocher mmmmmmm).

I stayed in the Barrio Alto area, quiet during the day but at night it's great. Loads of little bars (many just a hole in the wall and you just drink on the street), lots of friendly people in good spirits. You just grab a beer and walk around, then grab another one, it's great.

Take good shoes, it's very hilly. It's very cheap though!

I've just reread your post and see you're going with friends. Time Out, Red Frog (if they are cocktail fans) and Barrio Alto in the evening for sure!

Caporegime
Time Out Market is great, soooo much to eat, so busy too. I was there alone and had trouble finding a seat!

Stay somewhere close to a metro station, get a card and top it up and it will deduct a fixed rate per journey, even as far as the airport. So it's really cheap. I really cannot stress staying near the metro enough, try pushing your luggage on the cobble stones is not easy, nevermind up a hill and there are a lot of them!!!

Eat these, lots of these.

NuiIQDA.jpg

U6CuFSm.jpg

Associate
Take the CP train from Cais do Sodre if you're in the heart of Lisbon to Cascais (End of the line) From there I believe there is a bus that takes you out across the coast road to a place called Boco do Inferno (Hell's mouth) at certain times you can traverse down it and swim, however be vary careful, you'll understand why when you see it, plan your times accordingly etc. If beaches are your thing then carry on further up until you reach a place called Praia Guincho theres a fort atop a cliff with a bar that serves some good grub. Outside of Lisbon, i'd say look at Sintra, Setubal, Sesimbra - Small town not a lot to see but again lovely beach. If you can really make it further out theres a small town Almerim, close to Santarem that serves a local delicacy, Sopa da Pedra (Stone Soup) its lovely and you'll definitely be off the beaten track there. Its been a few years since I've been back, family lived there and I spent a long time there, a few places to watch out for, Barrio Alto is a little questionable at night as is the Docks (nightclub area) other than that to my knowledge Lisbon is pretty safe! Just don't fall into a Fado bar :( you'll know why if you do!

K-2

K-2

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the recommendations guys, much appreciated. Really excited to check out some of the places mentioned. Sintra looks amazing but after a bit of research online, looks like it could be a tourism nightmare at this time of year. Either way, I hope to get to spend one of the days exploring a small town nearby. Obrigado!

Soldato
Time Out Market, spend as long as you can there - it's utterly fantastic. It's a food hall but nothing like the St Enoch centre one!
Surprised at the love for Timeout market. I thought it was dire. Too busy, yes good food but just Too. Damn. Busy. Not fun at all.

We stayed at a great place called Dare Lisbon House. Check it out.

Also the LX Factory out of town is good fun. Boutique shops, bars, restaurants etc. Very hipster.

I think my Lisbon and Porto pics are the latest on my Flickr below.

DSCF3828 by llemmacs, on Flickr

DSCF3796 by llemmacs, on Flickr

DSCF3782 by llemmacs, on Flickr

DSCF3776 by llemmacs, on Flickr

Soldato
I'm glad I found this thread before making one.

I'm off to Lisbon on the 13th October to the 18th so 4 full days.

We're staying close to the river in Alfama district 4 mins walk from Santa Apolonia station and 13 mins walk from the subway.

We plan to get subway from airport to the metro then 13 min walk, how hard/easy the walk is I dunno considering it may be hilly.

Should be just pay for transport as we go or buy a week ticket? We're going to go to Sintra one day which I think is a 4 Euro return from Rossio station (I hear staff are really horrible in this station?)

Want to see as much as possible in 4 days.

Caporegime
I'm glad I found this thread before making one.

I'm off to Lisbon on the 13th October to the 18th so 4 full days.

We're staying close to the river in Alfama district 4 mins walk from Santa Apolonia station and 13 mins walk from the subway.

We plan to get subway from airport to the metro then 13 min walk, how hard/easy the walk is I dunno considering it may be hilly.

Should be just pay for transport as we go or buy a week ticket? We're going to go to Sintra one day which I think is a 4 Euro return from Rossio station.

Want to see as much as possible in 4 days.

13 min walk in Lisbon isn't 13 min walk, what google says "mostly flat" in reality it can be a hill. Plus all the paths are cobble stones so dragging your suitcases up it is not easy.

Personally I get one of the metro cards that you top up, it is a fixed fee per journey, including the airport.

Soldato
13 min walk in Lisbon isn't 13 min walk, what google says "mostly flat" in reality it can be a hill. Plus all the paths are cobble stones so dragging your suitcases up it is not easy.

Personally I get one of the metro cards that you top up, it is a fixed fee per journey, including the airport.

How long is a 13 min walk in Lisbon? 20 mins?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was in Lisbon a few weeks back, thanks for the recommendations for Time Out Market, very cool! Also took a ride on the tram which was an experience.

cruise-2019-60-2.jpg

cruise-2019-47-2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom