£500-600 gaming pc. Realistic?

Associate
OP
First bit of advice when you get your bits is to make sure your case has the Motherboard standoffs installed or put them in yourself using the hexagonal tool (often provided). The amount of people that screw the Motherboard directly to the case causing it to short out is endless.

Also, it is better to build the PC out of the case bit at a time first to ensure it boots! You can safely jump start the motherboard using a thin screwdriver (check YouTube).

Shawrey
Thanks my man appreciated

Soldato
Slippery slope from here i guess!
Can be - you've bought a little power house for your money with a motherboard foundation that will give you a lot of future upgrade options from a 2600X if/when needed. You got yourself a tidy amount of all-round power for your budget.

Best of luck and as mentioned if you get stuck post back. And - as has been previously mentioned - assemble a skeleton setup outside of the case first (MB, CPU/heatsink, memory and GPU) and test for proof of life. Sit the board on some cardboard and earth yourself occasionally on an exposed bit of metal on radiator as you build. Then, *remove* the GPU and install the board into the case - the CPU's heatsink makes this much easier as it's gives you more control in guiding the board into place (depending on case).

Soldato
@Plec is here to be your slave help ;)
LOL - i'm still playing catch up. I can't do the per-longed dance that i use to do - but still happy to help out on the limited threads i'm subscribed to.

I think Evertonhero was my last walk-through - i'm still suffering from decapitated unicorn flashbacks with all the bad luck he had (his pics had ornamental unicorn heads in them for point of ref :p). Hopefully he's been trouble free since and will continue to be so for years - poor sod.

The above has probably instilled great confidence in the @OP :D

Associate
OP
lol the banter. So as i found discount codes i also ordered the Patriot piper steel last night along with the motherboard. HOWEVER, i clearly wasn't paying attention and ending up buying an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX. Now apart from form factor (think that is the right terminology) after searching it looks to do the same job so would have to get a more suitable case. Would this be correct?

Soldato
lol the banter. So as i found discount codes i also ordered the Patriot piper steel last night along with the motherboard. HOWEVER, i clearly wasn't paying attention and ending up buying an MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX. Now apart from form factor (think that is the right terminology) after searching it looks to do the same job so would have to get a more suitable case. Would this be correct?
Yes - you'll need a midi-tower case for full ATX.

But it would be cheaper to return the motherboard than case?

Associate
OP
Yes - you'll need a midi-tower case for full ATX.

But it would be cheaper to return the motherboard than case?

I haven't ordered the case as of yet so figured a change of case selection would save mucking about. Any recommendations? can go above the price a bit of the existing recommendation. Bonus points for bling!:p

Associate
OP
Thanks Tamzy. I quite like the look of that one. Going to browse some more. Would any midi-tower suffice or would i need to try and find size restrictions?

Soldato
Not familiar with that case.

For perspective:

The mesh front and 4 pre-installed 120mm fans, on @tammzy's offering, will keep things cool and breezy. The Kolink has 2 x 120mm intake and 1 x 80mm exhaust - and has 1 front side vent for intake. It will do the job - but not as efficiently as the previous bling.

But a case is case - as long as it cools sufficiently, holds all your internals and sturdy enough for your need - it's enough.

User review : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/kolink-inspire-k1-rgb-midi-tower-review.1884417

Associate
OP
Not familiar with that case.

For perspective:

The mesh front and 4 pre-installed 120mm fans, on @tammzy's offering, will keep things cool and breezy. The Kolink has 2 x 120mm intake and 1 x 80mm exhaust - and has 1 front side vent for intake. It will do the job - but not as efficiently as the previous bling.

But a case is case - as long as it cools sufficiently, holds all your internals and sturdy enough for your need - it's enough.

User review : https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/kolink-inspire-k1-rgb-midi-tower-review.1884417

Food for thought. Will stick with tamzy's offering for now. Thanks again guys.

Probably wont be able to source other parts for a couple of weeks at least due to budget. Unless birthday comes early :D

Associate
OP
Hey all. I have some vouchers to use up. found the Corsair TX550M semi modular atx psu - 550w Be ok to use? Still Gold + and 7 year warranty.

Soldato
Hey all. I have some vouchers to use up. found the Corsair TX550M semi modular atx psu - 550w Be ok to use? Still Gold + and 7 year warranty.
Yes - 550W ample - and it will have all the cables that you need, decent quality and if it saves you some money/vouchers it makes sense. Plus, you have 7 years for it to prove itself wrong.

Back
Top Bottom