£500 Budget, need a monitor.

Soldato
Hello guys, thanks for helping out.

Ok. I have up to £500 to spend on a monitor. Its primary use will be for PC use and Xbox 360.

I have a DVI connection for my PC and my 360 uses Component (Red Green Blue) although i have the VGA cable..

I do need the monitor to have both these connections as i really dont want to use VGA for the 360.

The size i require is either 22" - 26", 24" would be ideal but im open to suggestions.

Resoloution wise i would preferably like it to be 1920x1080 or (1200).

The monitor has to have superb picture quality and look awesome for both machines. I do a lot of gaming on the PC and of course on the 360, so the quicker response time the better.

Help me out and thanks for your time.

[[EDIT]]--- Sorry for being a pratt, mods please move it to the correct forum. Sorry

Last edited:
Permabanned
Unfortunately your 360 image will look stretched I believe so it won't look superb. (PC monitor = 16:10, 360 resolutions = 16:9)

Though some monitors might let you use black borders without stretching the image.

Also why not VGA for the 360? VGA is better than component.

Soldato
OP
Oh right ok,

Well a simple google search confirms what you said.

So forget component for now. Looking at DVi and VGA.

Remember picture quality is a must.

Thanks a lot.

Permabanned
Dell 2407 - 24"
Samsung 226bw - 22"

why dont you just buy an lcd tv, you can get anything up to a 36" if not more and it will be in 16:9 resolution so no streching and the added bonus of a built in tuner.

Soldato
32" LCD TV will be to low resolution and to large for a PC screen (roughly 60cm away from your face remember).

Hyundai W41d-PVA / Dell 2408 or 2407 / Harzo 24" all arround the £450 mark, all good from what iv read here.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
I wouldn't say I went as far as to saying VGA was better than Component, just that in my experience VGA looks good enough. I tried Component but I think I set something wrong, as it looked rubbish.

Permabanned
32" LCD TV will be to low resolution and to large for a PC screen (roughly 60cm away from your face remember).
I sit that distance from my 37" LCD :p (a 1080P one though, you're right that 720P is too low res for close viewing, would look bad)

</off topic>

Anyhoo, yep VGA is the way to go with 360 (Or HDMI obviously, they look the same to me) big improvement over Component on every TV I've owned.

Soldato
OP
I sit that distance from my 37" LCD :p (a 1080P one though, you're right that 720P is too low res for close viewing, would look bad)

</off topic>

Anyhoo, yep VGA is the way to go with 360 (Or HDMI obviously, they look the same to me) big improvement over Component on every TV I've owned.

Ok thats great. Im due to get the money next week so i will decide then. Thanks guys.

Soldato
Would second the Hazro 24" (sitting in front of one currently). Has DVI, VGA and component input. It's an IPS panel, so best viewing angles and it looks the part in brushed aluminium all over.

As for the posting saying the xbox image would be stretched, that's not always the case - you just need to ensure that the panel is capable of 1:1 pixel mapping.

Soldato
OP
Hmm slight change of plan now.

Im swaying more towards the BenQ FP241W. Those of you who do a lot of gaming, how would you say this monitor is.

I am replacing a Viewsonic VX924 19" wouls this BenQ be an improvment ?.

Thank a lot :)

Permabanned
not as good as the dell 2408 which is only £5 more.

and yes as its 5 inches bigger aside from the technology updates which have invariably come about since 19" tfts were "hot stuff"

seriously get the dell......

- Anti-glare surface
- Two DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- One HDMI Input
- One DisplayPort Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-024-DE

Last edited:
Soldato
- Anti-glare surface
- Two DVI-D Input w/HDCP Support
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- One Component Input
- One HDMI Input
- One DisplayPort Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer.

May I add a few to that list?

- Poor backlight uniformity (the right side of my unit was noticeably darker)
- My unit had a pink hue on the right hand side which was noticable and very distracting in everyday usage (I spend a lot of time with white backgrounds, programming, file explorer etc)
- High gamut snakeoil, thus will need a hardware calibrator on top of purchase price (so no longer £5 but £105)
- Horrendous input lag of ~60ms (only topped by the Sammy 245T), I'm not a real FPS "twitch" gamer and it even bothered me!

Soldato
Id give a big vote to a samsung monitor, i got *** 20" B something or other about 2 years ago and the quality of it still amazes me (the ony thing i dont like about uni is that i couldnt bring over my pc this year so iv been suffering at the mercy of a laptop). Anywho thumbs up for a samsung unit

Back
Top Bottom