£500 mountain bike for my son?

Soldato
He's currently got a 24" wheel Genesis Core, but at 4'11", he's just starting to outgrow it.

Looking for a small adult bike, 26 or 27.5" wheels, hydraulic disc brakes, front suspension, etc.

Had anyone got any recommendations please?

Soldato
OP
Trek Marlin.

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/kids...junior-mountain-bike---26in-wheel-251436.html is well regarded, but the current £450 is as high as normally goes, in promos I think it's been as low as £275 in recent years. Limited stock though, as with a lot of Halfords bikes, also worth checking their Ebay store as sometimes extra stock appears there.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a look now, not sure if he might outgrow the Voodoo quickly as he's coming up 13.

Soldato
The voodoo is a bit of a tank at 16.4kg - think I'd go with the Cube out of those mentioned, The Cube is a more reasonable 14.2kg

The Fuji and Marlin 5 are 3x7 speed with awful forks. Marlin 6 is about the same price as the Cube but the forks are one model lower, Not that the forks on the Cube are amazing.

The Marlin 6 looks a lot nicer though, the frame geometry looks more modern and is about the same weight as the Cube - I'd be tempted to go with the Marlin 6 I think.

Soldato
OP
Either

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fuji-nevada-29-1-9-hardtail-bike-2020/rp-prod192471

or

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Aim-Race-Mountain-Bike-2020-Hardtail-MTB_218625.htm

Probably need a 14" or 15" for 4ft 11", but maybe consider a 16" so it lasts a little longer as no doubt he will grow into it in a month or two.

The voodoo is a bit of a tank at 16.4kg - think I'd go with the Cube out of those mentioned, The Cube is a more reasonable 14.2kg

The Fuji and Marlin 5 are 3x7 speed with awful forks. Marlin 6 is about the same price as the Cube but the forks are one model lower, Not that the forks on the Cube are amazing.

The Marlin 6 looks a lot nicer though, the frame geometry looks more modern and is about the same weight as the Cube - I'd be tempted to go with the Marlin 6 I think.

Thanks again, I'm thinking second hand might be the way to go, as an air fork would probably be much better for him as he's built like a racing snake, lol!

An air fork should also being the overall weight down, I'll have a look at last years models too, might get a slightly higher model for the same price.

Soldato
We got a Pinnacle Cobalt 1 from Evans for my boy, in February, who's a similar height (think he's possibly a shade over 5'). It's a hybrid, but at the mountain bike end of things. Supposed to be for 5'4" to 5'7", but he fits it fine.

They're £400 in store, but we actually picked it up 2nd hand, barely used (the guy said he'd ridden it 2 or 3 times, and it did look like it was true) for ~£200.

They also sold a Cobalt 2, which cost £100 more, but now seems to be no longer sold.

Back
Top Bottom