£500 SB Upgrade advice wanted!

Soldato
Hey guys

Finally making the jump to Intel lol

I've been with AMD for 2 years now nearly and well, there is nothing worth the money to move on to, hence the swap

Budget is £500 as the title states

ignoring the fans and boogieBug
what would you say,
Also, i've been weighing up two different motherboards, the Asrock shown in the picture and the Asrock Z68 Extreme4
Which would be best?
Main use of the machine is gaming, net browsing, a fair bit of photo-editing and a smaller bit of video processing (most game videos with fraps)

Sandybridgeupgradelist.png

Caporegime
Ivy Bridge processors are out in a few weeks time if you want to wait.

They could be a little more expensive than their Sandy Bridge counterparts though.

If you're getting an OEM processor you'll have to buy a CPU cooler.

The retail 2500K comes with a stock cooler (good for around 4GHz overclock), 3 years warranty instead of 1 and a shiny box. It may even have an Intel sticker (not sure on that one).

You can save a few quid on the RAM and low profile would be better if you do plan on getting an aftermarket cooler.

Associate
I'd get a LP ram kit such as the hyperX grey kit if you want a 3rd party cooler.

A £20-30 air cooler will get you to 4.5-4.7ghz depending on your chip - my 2500k is on 4.7 with a gellid tranquillo @74 degrees max load after 2-3 hours so it's quite worth buying a 3rd party cooler.

Soldato
OP
Oem is no problem, my current cpu is under water, so don't need a cooler
and i picked the ram because i already have 8Gb of the same bought a few weeks back so, would look a bit daft with different :p

Caporegime
Oem is no problem, my current cpu is under water, so don't need a cooler

Retail is currently £6 more which gets you an extra 2 years warranty if nothing else.

The re-sale value would also likely be higher if you sold it in a couple of years still with some warranty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom