5000 series compatible?

Man of Honour
Hello

I have a MSI Unify-X which I'm yet to install. At the time, it was dubbed as being 5000 series compatible out of the box. Now, I can't seem to any information verifying that is the case other than a bunch of news articles and YouTube videos. Most frustrating!!

Edit - to clarify, I know if will be OK if I flash the bios with a USB but I have reservations with that for the reasons below.

Looking at MSI's website, there is only two bios updates available, a beta and the latest bios (each released in January after I got the board). I can't seem to find any compatibility information whatsoever in respect of whatever is 'out of the box'.

In the unfortunate situation that I have to flash the bios, I don't have access to a PC, only a Mac. As it was such a faff trying to create a Windows boot USB from a Mac I'm very cautious about having to flash the bios as a download from a Mac..... is there likely to be any issues?

Sorry again for another noob thread and thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
It is the MSI B550 Unify X? I just checked their support page for the boards and the latest BIOS says it has AGESA 1.2.0.0 which means if you update it to that bios then Ryzen 5000 will work
Thanks - yes, I know the latest BIOS will definitely be OK, but I don't really want to have to flash the bios using a USB for the reasons I mentioned, if I can avoid it.

Also, this is a new build and I have no other CPU.

Man of Honour
OP
From what I gather... if I DO have to flash the bios, then I'll need to reformat the USB to a FAT32 system using the Mac terminal.... not the end of the world but again, I'd really rather not... it's a variable I'd rather avoid!

Associate
Looking at this again....

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-B550-UNIFY-X

The very oldest version available is 7D13vA0 (from 1 December). Going to the compatibility section this shows it's compatible with the 5950x, woo.

Surely 7D13vA0 is the factory issued bios?
Personally I would flash the BIOS because the early AGESA versions for Ryzen 5000 had some teething problems with PBO and memory. For the best performance I'd highly recommend updating it if you can

Man of Honour
OP
An update for anyone else in a similar boat.

I email MSI and asked them to confirm and, as per my previous post, they said the oldest bios available for that board supports the 5000 series and that I was good to go without any updates.

The only other bios available is a beta update so for the purposes of getting the machine up and running I won’t bother updating to that.

Many thanks @Muhammad Islam for your input in this :)

Back
Top Bottom