50mm fans with 2 pin connector.

Soldato
im in need of 4 silent 2 pin fans.

all the good fans ive find are 3 pin.

but im needing this connection :

24v-computer-case-pin-60mm-cooling-fan-black-plastic-cooler-170148n.jpg

is there some kind of wire/adapter than will do 3 pin to 2 pin?

i was after 4 of these link but they are 3 pin.

they are to go in a fish tank hood to replace some very loud ones currently in there so there is no space for a larger fan without a lot of hacking.

can anyone help?

Soldato
The yellow wire on a fan gives the RPM reading/tach function. The red and black supplies the power. Is the two pin connection similar to a three pin one (i.e. you could just skip out the third pin when plugging it in) or is the connector physically different?

EDIT: On a famous auction site, there's good quality Nidec 50mm fans with a connector just like in your photo. Seller is from China though.

EDIT 2: Not sure if this is a competitor (remove if necessary mods), but Farnell sell 50mm fans with 2 wires, though they are not terminated (i.e. plug on the end)

Last edited:
Soldato
So hard to tell which connector some of these fans have. I've found one that uses a default 2 pin connector (could be VGA type XHP-2 (as you pictured above) or standard Molex KK series fan connector) but it runs at 9v, which might or might not be any good for you.

Soldato
so, what i could do, is cut the connector off and just hard wire in the red and black?

Yep well that's an easy option provided you have a soldering iron. Another option could be to buy some flying leads with those XHP-2 connectors on and replace the 3 pin in any fan you buy, along with a bit of heatshrink and solder.

Soldato
I've got loads of that series of connector down my shed but in longer strips. I whipped them out of an old iPod dock and an old hifi I dismantled. They are used to connect different PCBs together.

I'm not sure if they section too well, meaning what happens if I cut an 8 way into 4 bits, will it still work.

If you can't find connectors and fly leads let me know and I will take a look. Should be easy enough to pop a connector and the little bit of cables they have on them in the post.

Associate
just cut and join the red and black (power leads) to the old connectors and heat shrink the joints the third lead will be redundent unlees you want fan speed monitoring which you dont. pinouts.ru have all the wiring diagrams you need

Back
Top Bottom