550W PSU for 5870

MCH

MCH

Associate
Hi , i've ordered a 5870 as i wanted an upgrade from my 8600GTS. My setup will be :

Q6600
2gb OCZ reaper
Asus P5N-T

I have an HEC PSU 550W and I dont know if this is a good brand of PSU (the computer was bought some time ago). Is this PSU enough to handle the new graphics card and what will happen if it cant under full load? If i did upgrade i'd probably get the 650 corsair but i would much rather not upgrade right now, thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
It may be a little too much for that psu. The requirements are 500w+ for the 5870 on their site, so it could work i guess.
Im no hardware expert, but i can safely in 10+years of building them, ive not heard of that psu brand before.
650w with a decent brand like Corsair as you said would be more suited, but id say spend that extra couple of quid and go for something around 750w and it should last you a few builds to come saving you money in the long term.

No doubt someone can give you a little more accurate advice though :)

Soldato
It may be a little too much for that psu. The requirements are 500w+ for the 5870 on their site, so it could work i guess.
Im no hardware expert, but i can safely in 10+years of building them, ive not heard of that psu brand before.
650w with a decent brand like Corsair as you said would be more suited, but id say spend that extra couple of quid and go for something around 750w and it should last you a few builds to come saving you money in the long term.

No doubt someone can give you a little more accurate advice though :)

They're Antec :D

Should be fine for a single 5870; don't try and stick two in there though.

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
sorry my bad , its not earth watts its HEC

put earthwatts cuz i was talking to some1 about one at the time :S and yeh i wouldnt be having a problem if it was earthwatts :p

Soldato
They're Antec :D

and ive never bought an Antec PSU :D

HEC, are they not a OEM for the likes of Winpower? May be a good idea to get a better psu then. Something like the Antec Signature Premiun 650w or the Corsair TX650 maybe.

Yeah, id still say invest in a new & quality psu if HEC aren't a decent brand, hopefully someone with more knowledge on psu's can tell you. At 550w and AMD recommend a 500w+ it could be tight if you've oc'd anything. Also don't psu's loose a bit of their max power over time?
Apart from that, a decent one will offer things like better voltage stabilitly, low noise and less heat. A cheap psu can be damaging to your other components.

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
well just wana make sure trying the 5870 out on the 550W will do no major harm to anything , nothing is overclocked .

Soldato
Not too sure tbh as ive not done it myself. Id imagine you'd experience crashes and reboots once you ask it to do anything power hungry, but as you said, it would be good to know if it could cause any hardware damage. Id lean on the side of yes for that.

Soldato
HEC, are they not a OEM for the likes of Winpower? May be a good idea to get a better psu then. Something like the Antec Signature Premiun 650w or the Corsair TX650 maybe.

HEC... aren't they Compucase? I thought they were pretty good. I mean, not right up there with the best but good enough quality to run. I wouldn't exactly trust it with a top of the range build, but something mid range would be fine. For a 5870 then it would probably be best to change it.

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
just to keep every1 updated its in and running fine , gotta wait 2 hours before i can get on aion tho :) , my psu did have twox6 connectors as default which gave me a little relief

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
Ok the card has bugged leaving the graphics ( mainly around boxes ) very screwed up , the temperature is 60 and it only did this while i was watching a family guy stream online .

I dont understand because i have aion running and the graphics were fine in that while my desktop was bugged , same for css as i can run that full wack on everything and get 850fps (which is why i dont think its a psu problem).

Last edited:

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
hmm i uninstalled the nvidia drivers and then installed the ATI ones with the card , i didnt use a cleaner sweeper (never heard of it) , what do u purpose ?

btw im downloading the cleaner/sweeper as i type this

MCH

MCH

Associate
OP
everything seems to be working fine now , btw is an enermax infinity 720W a decent PSU since i know some1 who will give me one

Back
Top Bottom