5600X system to go with 3070 Ti

Soldato
It seems that I have managed to score a 3070 Ti, so looking to put together a new build (my first in a long time). I will be reusing my existing case (because it's big and sexy). I'm thinking AMD 5600X is the way to go, so need to spec the rest of the components to go with it:
  • CPU Cooler (think I will stick with air)
  • ATX Motherboard (presumably B550, although is the B450 that much of a compromise as it seems to come up super cheap from time to time?)
  • RAM (I'm assuming 16GB of 3600, open to alternatives if there is a good reason)
  • PSU
  • SSD (presumably NVMe)
Not fussed about RGB, love a bargain if one is going for decent quality components.

Spec me up please!

Associate
What case are you using? Do you need wifi? Will you want pcie4 or happy with gen 3..if happy with lower then b550 board suits better as youll still have 1 gen 4 nvme slot, but 2nd will be gen3... If you want full gen 4 for both then youre looking at x570 board

Soldato
OP
What case are you using? Do you need wifi? Will you want pcie4 or happy with gen 3..if happy with lower then b550 board suits better as youll still have 1 gen 4 nvme slot, but 2nd will be gen3... If you want full gen 4 for both then youre looking at x570 board

The case is big. It's one of these: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolermaster-cosmos-ii-ultra-tower-case-black-ca-249-cm.html

Regarding the PCIE 3 or 4 requirements, what difference will that make to actual performance now? Some people seem to think PCIE 4 isn't worth it yet and I'm not so focused on future theoretical gains as experience shows I'm likely to keep this build for years and then do a new one rather than keep swapping out parts. One issue is that I would prefer not to lose SATA ports by adding NVMe as I already have a total of 6 SSD and HDD connected to my existing PC, but this seems to be inevitable with some motherboard designs? Adding a SATA expansion card might work, but it would be nice if there was a sensibly priced motherboard that can do the job as is. I'm also a bit confused about which are good value NVME drives generally as some are reported to have had components downgraded from their original spec.

Associate
The case is big. It's one of these: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/coolermaster-cosmos-ii-ultra-tower-case-black-ca-249-cm.html

Regarding the PCIE 3 or 4 requirements, what difference will that make to actual performance now? Some people seem to think PCIE 4 isn't worth it yet and I'm not so focused on future theoretical gains as experience shows I'm likely to keep this build for years and then do a new one rather than keep swapping out parts. One issue is that I would prefer not to lose SATA ports by adding NVMe as I already have a total of 6 SSD and HDD connected to my existing PC, but this seems to be inevitable with some motherboard designs? Adding a SATA expansion card might work, but it would be nice if there was a sensibly priced motherboard that can do the job as is. I'm also a bit confused about which are good value NVME drives generally as some are reported to have had components downgraded from their original spec.
Once win 11 arrives with direct storage all working then we'll have a better idea of gains from nvme performance etc. Direct storage enable data from nvme to go direct to gpu, with gpu doing uncompressing and data crunching rather than data going to cpu and then gpu(read up a few weeks back and there's a youtube vid from guy that works at MS explaining it)..did send an email asking but no reply, but hopefully will be gains made by faster nvme...it's not just the speed of bootingup etc, it's that the gpu will be able to access the storage and be able to allow for bigger maps with more content within game due to the speed of transfer..this is why even though the ps5 gpu is not quite as good as the gpu in the xsx(same basic gpu though), developers etc were excited about the ps5 as it had a faster nvme drive in it...this is my understanding of it all( but suggest a little reading of your own).
Plenty of people don't think it's worth upgrading to better nvme as loads of youtube vids showing load times for games very similar, but in my view, they're missing the whole point of direct storage..load times is only a small part of it

Associate
Below is what I suggested to someone else...
The SN550 has had parts downgraded, but of course it's the cheapest, then you have the MP400, SN750 and then gen4 SN850. I personally have a SN850, and am hoping this will make a difference in the future. I'm fully aware at the mo just for game load etc, no it doesn't, but if I'm forking out, I thought, this is the most futureproof I can go, and at mo, OCuk has a discount so £139 is actually a very good price..other sites have it for £190 odd...it's the same read/write as the Sammy 980 Pro at over £200 and firecuda 530 at £190
I went B550 board as only wanted one gen4 and at the time X570 boards were all way over £200. If want multiple gen4 though, it's the way to go, and the x570 tomahawk has everything you need.

I'm not up to speed on the use on multiple nvme and sata at the same time, as know on some boards sata 5/6 get disabled etc, so would need to look into it..but that comes down to budget also. @EsaT generally is though, he m ight be able to point you in right direction. I'll try have a look but going to be tied up for a few hours from now

Same goes for Ram, I've got 32gb 3600c18...(just put flight sim on with flyby everest...got to 12.6GB ram in use, with this web page and 6 other tabs open in background, so 16 will do, but as I built, don't want to have to buy more in future, and 2x16 cheaper than 2x8 on a per gb price at mo..it was a lot cheaper than the 3600C16 and yes, prob loosing a few fps, but I'm not unduely bothered...3600C16 will be faster, and in 2x8gb not much in it, 2x16, it's costing well over 10% more than the c18 for 1-3% gain..guessing with that case, rgb not a factor:cry: It's a monster

def shop around though..some large variations between retailers, and even taking shipping costs, you can save a lot by sourcing multiple locations

Put in the X570 tomahawk in there also as has wifi 6 and with discount better than the B550 boards with wifi atm..plus both nvme's are gen4 compatible. With Win11 and direct storage coming in to play will be interesting to see how the faster nvme's perform. The corsair MP400 is on offer and sits between the sn550/sn750 for read/write performance, and the SN850 right at the top end for gen4 performance atm and on offer@£139. Both air coolers more than capable for the ryzen cpu, the Artic may go well with the case, the brocken a smidge cheaper, also slightly offset to give room for the ram sticks..a 2nd fan can also be added to increase airflow..went non rgb

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,171.96 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Associate
PSu,
this is very good psu, with great review..you don't need 850w, 750W is ample for 3070ti, just showing as this is new 2021 variant..older variant has round fan openning..runs quieter but not as reliable.
There are 2 other psu that came highly recommended. need to find thread when I posted on it...but as said, bit busy at mo so will have to come back.

again, everything depended on budget whether you want to get best, or happy middle ground..I just wont cut corner on psu, seeing as that powers all my kit, incl v expensive gpu, and modern psu run more efficiently at light load also..have seen below for £109

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £140.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Soldato
Once win 11 arrives with direct storage all working then we'll have a better idea of gains from nvme performance etc. Direct storage enable data from nvme to go direct to gpu, with gpu doing uncompressing and data crunching rather than data going to cpu and then gpu
It still won't go directly to GPU.
Data is first read to RAM and memory controller happens to be in CPU die/package.
Part which is skipped is CPU cores decompressing/processing data.
https://www.techpowerup.com/281289/directstorage-api-works-even-with-pcie-gen3-nvme-ssds

And better made games are capable to second or two loading times already:
https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/silicon-power-us70-1tb-review/11/

Soldato
X570 has the most IO bandwidth.

B550 and especially B450 have less IO lanes and in case of B450 PCIe lanes (6) are also 14 years old v2.0 slow.
While B550 is PCIe v3 (only 11 years old) chipset it suffers from similar limited number of IO (10 PCIe lanes) and using second M.2 slot often disables either PCIe slots or SATA ports.
X570 has 16 PCIe lanes and all doubled bandwidth PCIe v4.
(gives nice ~2GB/s even from x1 slot)

Though if you're only going to have only standard six core CPU and 16GB memory and not going to upgrade either, X570 board kinda loses that extra future proofness of bandwidth for lots of devices.

Soldato
The SN550 has had parts downgraded, but of course it's the cheapest, then you have the MP400, SN750 and then gen4 SN850.
SN550 still has far better sustained write speed, than QLC Flash MP400 which falls to slower than 10 years old HDD level if SLC cache runs out.
(and has write endurance 1/3 of norm)

And then there's TeamGroup MP34 breathing on its neck in price...
TeamGroup MP34 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive= £109.99

Associate
SN550 still has far better sustained write speed, than QLC Flash MP400 which falls to slower than 10 years old HDD level if SLC cache runs out.
(and has write endurance 1/3 of norm)

And then there's TeamGroup MP34 breathing on its neck in price...
TeamGroup MP34 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 Solid State Drive= £109.99

Didn't see that one, nice...the cache for the mp400 is 260gb though, before it runs slow, so chances of filling up are minimal... That's still over 2 games of flight sim being transferred before it'll slow down. Doubt it'll be an issue for the average gamer, but could be wrong. couldn't see myself burning through that kind of data...my pref of course is the sn850, as that's what I bought. Spent so much on my rig, saving I made in one section, I paid up in others. Fore me, happy to go faster..can't see the future, only try and prepare for it. Glad you saw thread, was reading up on the x570 tomahawk with dual nvme and 6 sata. Manual says it's all ok, and can run together, but manual says it on the b550 board, but not so sure on that one, so glad you stepped in

Soldato
OP
I've now pulled the trigger on a 5600X. Regarding the motherboard the MSI Tomahawk seems to get a solid recommendation, but I'm wavering a bit on the actual chipset.

I expect my starting set up will be 1 x GPU (3070Ti) and 1 x NVMe boot drive (as yet unpurchased) plus lots of SSD and HDD connected to the SATA ports. I do also have a couple of PCIE cards that I may want to install depending on how things go (sound card and WiFi card)
  • B450 Tomahawk, available super cheap (under £60) but as discussed above lacks PCIE 4.0 and the number of available SATA ports drops from 6 to 4 when you connect an NVMe drive (which will annoy me.)
  • B550 Tomahawk, £129.95 and if I understand it correctly has PCIE 4.0 and doesn't disable any SATA ports for adding an NVMe drive, but if you add more than one NVMe drive or PCIE card it seems that the speed of the connection reduces? Trying to get my head around whether this will matter based on my requirements.
  • X570 Tomahawk, £179.99 seems to do everything and should allow two NVMe drives without losing any speed? As a bonus includes WiFi, but obviously the most expensive board and currently triple the cost of a B450 Tomahawk.

Have I got any of the above wrong and which do you think is the smart choice? I don't want to spend more than I need to, but also I don't want to feel that I need to upgrade the motherboard in 6 months time.

Soldato
OP
There was a B550 Tomahawk for sale on the members market (obviously a sign :D) so I've gone for it and will be taking the middle B550 path after all.

Now I need to decide on an NVMe. Considering my other components, is it really worth paying the extra over a WD Blue SN550, or will that get the job done?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom