• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700xt - crashing / hanging pc

Associate
Hoping for some advice on how to troubleshoot this one, not even 100% sure its a gfx card issue although it looks likely.
When i play a game or sometimes run furmark the monitor will loose connection to pc (black screen), the pc will after about 10secs go into a sound loop of whatever was playing and the pc will be unresponsive. The only way to recover is to power off and power back on.
Most of the times this happens the radeon software is corrupt when pc restart and i need to uninstall and re-install the software.

I have tried display driver uninstaller to ensure its cleanly removed.

I have ran furmark for 3hours without a problem (once), hung twice after a few mins.
I ran MSI kombustor overnight for 8 hours and it was still running in the morning. I dont think it hits it as much as furmark. Neither give much in terms of logging or what is going on.

Temps after hours of heavy use are usually 70-79 degrees.
No overclocking on CPU or GFX card, RAM runs an XMP profile at 3600.
PC has been running for over a year with little issues before this recent hiccup.

It's about 20mnths old so should be under warranty. I dont want to send it back only for them to say nothing is wrong.

Any suggestions or help appreciated!

Associate
OP
Try an older gfx driver?
I was having a few problems with my 6700xt fighter untill i used an older driver from oct/nov.Been solid since
I have tried last 3 drivers, going back to October. I see there is a new one released yesterday so i'll try that before going back to August!

one or two power cables to the card?

it could also be the motherboard

I've two power cables to the card.
Any idea how i could pin point if mobo is an issue?

Associate
OP
Other than another gpu to test? Where are you in the uk?
I have a 980ti i could pull from son's PC to test a second gfx card.

Could actually be sound drivers, doesnt furmark play music ?
I'm using a dedicated soundblaster card, pretty old so i will deffo disable or remove and use onboard sound for a test. Thanks!

Have a read of this if you are still stuck after trying the above.

Thanks, lots of good suggestions in here!

Permabanned
:rolleyes:;) Fanboy much:)

Realistic much?

Here..

My Ebay says it was a satisfactory sale though.. amazing what AMD buyers will put up with whilst I am screaming along at seriously high FPS with zero issues.

qXTsDN0.png

Imagine getting immersed without worrying if something will break.. ahhh!

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 5700XT.

Does this happen with just one game or with everything?

It may be worth seeing if replacing the DP cable solves the issue.

Also are you at the limit for your PSU? and how old is it and what make? ie.best to have one thats over-rated say 850W (and good quality). Over time the PSU's diminish. If its ability to supply enough watts is insufficient at a particular moment then your Pc will crash. I had a PSU that was a few years old and had 4 HDD's - PC started crashing and I thought that one of the HDD's was faulty - so I took a HDD out and the PC worked fine for a while, then needed to remove another HDD etc - rather than it being the HDD's failing it was the PSU. Also I have had a generic PSU fail (completely rather than just diminish in watt output) just after the 1 yr warranty (and have had a 7yr warranty Gold EVGA go after about 3 yrs)!

Permabanned
I will add my current spec which is no different other than a motherboard change as I went from ATX to M-ITX.

5600x stock
16GB 3733mhz C16
MSI MPG B550i Gaming Edge Max Wifi
Inno3D RTX 3070 iCHILL x4
Superflower Leadex III 650w
10 TB total storage between SSD's and 1 HDD
Gigabyte M27Q 170hz QHD monitor 0.5ms.

The SuperFlower Leadex III was bought in the same cart as the 5700-XT bought from here. Can power a more power hungry card without issues.. RTX 3070. So that argument is dead at least for mine.

But the OP may have a crap tastic PSU, we shall see.

Associate
OP
Sorry for lack of replies...

I have a 5700XT.

Does this happen with just one game or with everything?

It may be worth seeing if replacing the DP cable solves the issue.

Also are you at the limit for your PSU? and how old is it and what make? ie.best to have one thats over-rated say 850W (and good quality). Over time the PSU's diminish. If its ability to supply enough watts is insufficient at a particular moment then your Pc will crash. I had a PSU that was a few years old and had 4 HDD's - PC started crashing and I thought that one of the HDD's was faulty - so I took a HDD out and the PC worked fine for a while, then needed to remove another HDD etc - rather than it being the HDD's failing it was the PSU. Also I have had a generic PSU fail (completely rather than just diminish in watt output) just after the 1 yr warranty (and have had a 7yr warranty Gold EVGA go after about 3 yrs)!

So i first noticed it while playing bf2042, i dont play other games that stress the gpu too much (civ6 etc).
That started way back when bf2042 was released, i had an old coolermaster 850W PSU and after people suggesting the PSU may be past its time i replaced it with a new Corsair RM850x.
So that's two high end PSU's.
When i put my build into a PC build calc it reckons it needs a 550W PSU, so plenty of extra left.

I got confirmation it was more than just BF2042 when i started playing fortnite with son and it started happening there as well.
Furmark can also replicate it.

@Showboat what card is it? have you tried reflash the bios?

Its a powercooler 5700XT, i would be uncomforatble flashing bios.

Also @Showboat what motherboard do you have is it a Gigabyte by any chance ?

Its an MSI x570 a-pro mobo with amd 3600 CPU

I updated to latest gfx drivers and problem still happened, then i took out the soundcard and went with onboard sound and played for 2 hours with no crashes. Furmark bombed out overnight but no reboot.
Crashed again (reboot) there at lunchtime playing bf2042.

Think the nextstep is putting the 980ti in and seeing if we have issues, i reckon that will fix it though :(

Associate
OP
It won't ever be fixed, it's why I switched to nVidia and won't ever look back.

I switched to nvidia after hassles with the old 5500 i think (10 years ago) and was always impressed, went to amd as i was annoyed with the lack of driver updates for the 980ti.
Back to nvidia next time for me!

Associate
I had issue's with mine crashing due to hardware acceleration being enabled in Discord and Chrome. Once disabled i have had no crashes since.

Back
Top Bottom