• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5700XT Hitting 2.3GHz+ - TomsHW-DE

Soldato
Right, thats it, I couldn't bear it any longer, just ordered a sapphire 5700XT and a black Morpheus!
I was really tempted to get a 5700XT to play with considering I got the Corsair H105 AIO with Corsair HG10 A1 on my old 290x, as well as a Icy Vision Rev.2 graphic cooler sitting on the shelf, but fought of the temptation and decided it would make more sense to wait for the 5800/5800XT (which will inevitably come at some point) and throw the cooler on that instead.

Caporegime
Has anyone considered that maybe some of the blame lays with partners not being ready in time? AMD are heavily reliant on AIB sales, so not sure why they would intentionally hold back partner designs.

Even without the AIB's we've got poor default settings with poor coolers and driver issues.

That's what has just happened with day 1 Navi launch as fact.

Whereas the tweaked 5700XT with an unlocked power limit is looking like it's able to beat and match a 2070S at a lower price point.

Which to me is worth the caveats it possesses.

Soldato
Which has always been an AMD weakness. We know this already, just as price gouging is Nvidia's weakness.

However Nvidia has annoyed it's AIB partners with the cooler used on the Turing cards. The best cooler out there, is barely 6C different than the FE cooler. In some cases the coolers are worse (MSI 2060S)
That wasn't the case up to Pascal and it's blower which was outright worse than the AIB cards.

AMD might have a deal with it's AIBs to use the blower so it won't eat sales.

Soldato
What I need right now is benchmarks on a variety of games with a 5700 XT and custom cooler vs 2070 super. I really wanna see how this thing is doing vs the super because I was considering the super till I saw the great OC results and of course that + driver improvements this card could be doing really well in a few months....

Associate
Undervolting is the first thing that is needed here :D
It shows 10% higher numbers before any other overclocking or cooler replacement. And there is another 8%-12% gain on DX11 games by using PCIe 4.0 instead of 3.0.

AMD gave us here a very rough diamond. God knows what the 5800XT would provide when announced in January 2020 CES

Q4 '19 is more likely, unless they put it on HBM2+ / HBM3 (no reason to do that really unless they go BIG with the die and need tons of bandwidth).

Soldato
What I need right now is benchmarks on a variety of games with a 5700 XT and custom cooler vs 2070 super. I really wanna see how this thing is doing vs the super because I was considering the super till I saw the great OC results and of course that + driver improvements this card could be doing really well in a few months....

The watercooled card working at stable 2200 range (+/- 50mhz), beats the heaviest overclocked 2070S and is very close to 2080.

Associate
I can't see them using HBM2 again, it's too costly and not abundant enough, and HBM3 isn't even in volume production yet.

They certainly will on workstation and ML cards. RDNA based cards for gaming, it certainly doesn't make any sense to use HBM on smaller chips ... but if they go big or multiple chiplet (say big Navi is 450mm2 or greater and designed to beat the 2080Ti) then they probably will, in future.

Soldato
The watercooled card working at stable 2200 range (+/- 50mhz), beats the heaviest overclocked 2070S and is very close to 2080.

HOLY MOTHER OF OH LAWD

That sounds amazing, but obv overclock gains are not uniform across all games so i'm told?

Please will some reviewer do a proper benchmark with an AIO or good air cooler / watercooling. :D :D

Soldato
That's impressive u smashed a stock 2080 rtx :o

Did you mistype 2080 for 2070 or confuse with the p score and not looked at the graphics score.
There's no way that 5700xt is smashing a stock Rtx 2080 in firestrike.
A Rtx2080 will do 28k at stock scaling to 32k for the graphics score at the very best overclock.
Rtx2070 is around 24kstock to 26k oc'd.

Soldato
HOLY MOTHER OF OH LAWD

That sounds amazing, but obv overclock gains are not uniform across all games so i'm told?

Please will some reviewer do a proper benchmark with an AIO or good air cooler / watercooling. :D :D
The reality is that the performance wise the Navi will only continue to go up, whereas the Turing cards have already completely matured, and the only way to go is either stay the same, or to go down (once Nvidia stop optimising the cards for new games).

Soldato
HOLY MOTHER OF OH LAWD

Definitely not, there will always be some games that work better on AMD or Nvidia hardware, but that water cooled one did beat the 2070S reasonably well. Wait for AIB better cooled 5700XTs but as long as they are below £450 they should be great for the money.

Back
Top Bottom