• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5800X no OC crashes AIDA64

Soldato
I've been using my 5800X for a few weeks now and found leaving PBO on auto seems the best thing for now

Running the 'stress cache' test increases temps to 89c and shows in status 'Warning: Hardware failure detected! Test stoped'

AIDA64 Extreme trial version 6.30.5500
Motherboard is a MSI MEG Unify X570

BIOS version 7C35vA82(Beta version) Release Date 2020-11-16
Description - Support AMD SAM(SMART ACCESS MEMORY) function

This could be BIOS related as the previous BIOS (7C35vA7) would crash in Windows. Using a Ryzen 3600 there was no crashing on that BIOS version

Does anyone else have an MSI MEG Unify and 5800X who can confirm similar?
All other benchmarks seem fine and gaming for hours only results in temps of 60c max. Cooling is a Noctua nh-u14s in push pull

Wrong section, please move to CPU. Didnt realise I was on GD

Soldato
have you got CPU, FPU, Cache all set for stress testing? that combo will yield highest ryzen cpu temp due to the io die.

as above said, test with CPU and FPU and see what happens.

does have PBO on result in high temps or having it off resulting in high temps? have you selected your PBO power budget?

have you looked into this curve optimiser or PBO2 - not sure if it is available on MSI board yet.

Soldato
OP
how long before it crashes?

And if the stress cache is pushing it to 89 then what does the stress FPU do ?
Not sure to bes honest, maybe 45 mins.

FPU gets to 89c too.
Realbench works fine for an hour of stress testing.
RAM wise, DRAM calc easy and default run fine without errors, as does TestMem5

Strangely its not crashing now. Same settings as before. I'll try another run but put it down to the beta BIOS. Non beta crashed just opening CPUZ! :rolleyes::D

Soldato
OP
Have you done memtest86 run? Seeing you are tuning your ram.
Not memtest86 but have ran memtest (a windows program) DRAM calc and the AIDA system memory test all without issues.

I’ll try memtest86 though too make sure.

Yep, i’ve tuned down RAM to CAS14

Soldato
Not memtest86 but have ran memtest (a windows program) DRAM calc and the AIDA system memory test all without issues.

I’ll try memtest86 though too make sure.

Yep, i’ve tuned down RAM to CAS14
Definitely run memtest86 from boot. Windows memtest can’t test the ram that has already been allocated to windows and programmes.

Soldato
OP
Memtest86 ran, no issues
Issue was PBO

Max temp in AIDA64 stability test on CPU, FPU & Cache is now 74c instead if it showing stability errors when using PBO auto. 4.65Ghz all core. 1.275V.
Maybe just an issue with some motherboard / bios combinations
PBO loads voltage up to 1.5V, so its now disabled

Last edited:
Soldato
have you gone into AMB CBS and select manual PBO and select the TDP profile or specify a TDP profile?

i am not sure how that affects the Vcore tho. but that at least will limit the package Wattage to the value you put in under PBO so technically should enable you to boost that good core to 5GHz or whatever it can do wihtout hitting those thermal issues given the cooling is adaquate.

Associate
Memtest86 ran, no issues
Issue was PBO

Max temp in AIDA64 stability test on CPU, FPU & Cache is now 74c instead if it showing stability errors when using PBO auto. 4.65Ghz all core. 1.275V.
Maybe just an issue with some motherboard / bios combinations
PBO loads voltage up to 1.5V, so its now disabled

PBO has always given to much V core voltage, i dont use it at all. sooner go for an all core overclock myself at lower V core than PBO gives for 1 core. the PBO auto needs some work yet and over volt it always does.

Soldato
PBO works perfectly fine on zen2 chips. It is the go to setting for auto Oc on zen2 tbh.

the PBO algorithm is more aggressive on zen3. That’s why the PBO2 being rolled out will give much better auto settings.

In any case the PBO settings can be manually adjusted.

Soldato
OP
That's true.

But as the the old intel saying goes, zen3 is now the dead end socket :p

I suppose it is. Intel need to pull their finger out and win back some buyers. Maybe i'll go back to team blue when DDR5 is out and deopending if they have anything in a few years

PBO works perfectly fine on zen2 chips. It is the go to setting for auto Oc on zen2 tbh.

the PBO algorithm is more aggressive on zen3. That’s why the PBO2 being rolled out will give much better auto settings.

In any case the PBO settings can be manually adjusted.

PBO2 will hopefully bring more stable performance.
PBO manual adjustments I can't seem to get right or the beta bios i'm using isnt liking something.

Either way, for a chip that's rated "Up to 4.7GHz" as boost it's running very cool at 4.6Ghz all core, 1.275V.

I've just been on Warzone for an hour and the max temp was 59c with idle at 30c. I could put it up to 4.75Ghz but was trying this before it needed quite a bit of extra voltage and reached much higher temperatures as a result

Soldato
4.6 all core is pretty amazing tbh. You can try to play around in ryzen master to see if you can get one of the core to clock
up higher under the same setting as you have now.

Soldato
OP
4.6 all core is pretty amazing tbh. You can try to play around in ryzen master to see if you can get one of the core to clock
up higher under the same setting as you have now.
Is that possible in Ryzen master? I installed it but was pretty limited really and could only select manual OC, PBO or auto. Great if it is possible though

Soldato
Is that possible in Ryzen master? I installed it but was pretty limited really and could only select manual OC, PBO or auto. Great if it is possible though
see image below. you need to select a profile then you can tweak stuff. once done click test and apply and do some stress testing to see if it is all stable. mine is zen2 but i imgaine it is the same for zen3. the cores wiht bright stars are the best cores in the CCX/CCD. in your case you will only have one CCX and one CCD

as you can see i can set individual core clocks on ryzen master obviousl those are complete rubbish clocks :D

r0DYngil.jpg

Back
Top Bottom