• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 2Gb Toxic

Associate
I'm about to ditch my 5850s (1GB) crossfire setup and go the single GPU route.
Sorry I know I might just be one of the unlucky few out of all crossfire users out there but I'll always think twice now before going crossfire or advising others to go crossfire to save on the upgrade path.

I wish I'd sold of the 5850 when it was valued more and gone straight for a 580 at the time or a 680 / 7970 now.

Just had so so many issues with random performance, the CAP profiles coming out usually a week or two after a major game release also bugged me and fps was never what I thought itd be in the end.

Just a heed of warning. On paper sounds like a great upgrade path but dont go expecting silky smooth results. Maybe with later gen vid cards the crossfire is much more beneficial but for me at least with the 5850s i've had nothing but trouble.

Be glad to get rid of these otherwise EXCELLENT cards which served me well as single GPU setups and go for a monster single gpu.

Associate
I interestingly ran heaven 3.0 yesterday with the cards and scored something like 1590 or something, which I dont think is that bad considering they are running stock still.

Its battlefield performance with these two cards which hurts. Other games run well enough. But with bf3 i just have constant issues. Moreover, 1 6950 card should run better or worse than 2 5850s?

Comparing a 6950 1gb running along side my machine with 2 5850s, the difference is night and day, such fluidity with the single gpu as opposed to crossfire with these cards.

Glad you guys arent having any issues, gives a bit of hope to the OP but was just putting my issues out there i've had with this setup.

Associate
Okay but like I said, most games have performed well, its BF3 that gives me issues, any of you guys running BF3 and can clarify how it performs? I.e. you running ultra settings? constant 60 fps on high details? etc....

I'll play 2 games over a day, the first 64 player for example on lets say caspian, runs perfect, fluid 55-60 fps constant.. Lovely.

Play a game a few hours later on a diff server with similar ping, same players same map... 30-40 fps.

Pc hasn't had anything changed, running exactly the same, just sat there in between maps so nothings changed config wise, yet performance is 1/2 of previous game. Its this inconsitency that drives me crazy.

Associate
Okay but like I said, most games have performed well, its BF3 that gives me issues, any of you guys running BF3 and can clarify how it performs? I.e. you running ultra settings? constant 60 fps on high details? etc....

I'll play 2 games over a day, the first 64 player for example on lets say caspian, runs perfect, fluid 55-60 fps constant.. Lovely.

Play a game a few hours later on a diff server with similar ping, same players same map... 30-40 fps.

Pc hasn't had anything changed, running exactly the same, just sat there in between maps so nothings changed config wise, yet performance is 1/2 of previous game. Its this inconsitency that drives me crazy.
I'd say that's a VRAM issue. With my 1GB 5770's, I had to make sure I closed any YouTube pages I had open before I tried playing BF3 on high, as leaving any kind of flash video open in my browser pushed my VRAM usage right too the limit and knocked my fps down from ~52 to ~34 FPS. Playing on a GTX 470, 570 and 480, I didn't have this issue.

EDIT: I didn't do any solid testing, but it could have also been the drivers holding the cards at 2D-Clocks, while flash content was open, which could also account for the drop in FPS.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys, I am now thinking that it would be better upgrading to a single card due to my motherboard.

1. Will only run at 8x with two cards.
2. Will need to free up PCI slot(s) to fit two gfx cards,
3. Could do without additional heat and noise.
4. Seasonic X-650w will no longer run silent.

Looking at 69xx card.

cheers, andy.

Back
Top Bottom