• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 delayed till October?

Soldato
well i was told by fatboy (will look for the post) they are defo in stock this monday and if you ordered one should get it tuesday next week.

this a right farse, i could have got the 5870 but didnt see the point in the extra £100, if i dont get this 5850 by tuesday next week i either want some kind of discount when it does come in, or money off a 5870 because this is just a nightmare.

bah the sapphire ones better be in monday because thats what i changed my order from the powercolor :mad:

Soldato
Calm down, it's a graphics card for Christ's sake, not a liver transplant, a few days longer wait wont make any real difference now will it ? ...and I thought I could be impatient at times. There is no point at all in cancelling orders because you might have to wait 2 or 3 more days.

Associate
Calm down, it's a graphics card for Christ's sake, not a liver transplant.

Perhaps not, but I think some of this lot woudld cut out their own left kidney with the aid of nothing more than a steak knife and a bottle of absinthe for the pain if they were told there was a 58xx card in it for them :cool:

Soldato
my gtx 260 will be sold come monday, so pc is out of use

Read a book then, or go and wine an dine a beautiful women ...I dunno, you'll survive!

I suppose I would find it a bit annoying not having a computer at all for several days, but I actually have 4 in total; main computer, media/server machine, primary laptop and a netbook. Most people around here do have at least 1 other means of computing, even if it's just a netbook.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I've got lots of PCs too. Well done us. :rolleyes:

I'm chilled about it though. They'll get them as soon as anyone and it seems to be a good price. Listing them as in stock when they're 5 days away is pretty naughty but hey, we all make mistakes and Fatboy seems to be doing his best to sort it all out.

I sort of expect a bit of a temper from toon_mad!! :D

Caporegime
Calm down, it's a graphics card for Christ's sake, not a liver transplant, a few days longer wait wont make any real difference now will it ? ...and I thought I could be impatient at times. There is no point at all in cancelling orders because you might have to wait 2 or 3 more days.

My thoughts exactly, not sure why people constantly talk about bad launches and paper launches. No idea why people just expect 3 million cards to be produced and manufactured almost instantly for everyone to get. They take time to make, you can't just build 100,000 a day to satisfy demand, a single $5,000 waifer of chips only provides 149 5870's if it was a 100% yield, considering they are closer to 40%, you're talking about getting 50 or so chips from each waifer. You sell them as they come out how on earth is that remotely surprising to anyone.

10,000 waifers, at a cost of $50million, only produces 500k cards and takes a long time to produce, can't find any numbers for production around so hard to know how many waifers they can process a day, but well, I'd be surprised if they could push though more than a couple thousand a month.

Yet again its TSMC screwing everyone, if yields were 60-80%, lets say 80%, we'd have cards that cost $80 less, and twice as many available already, easing supply even further, lowering gouging prices further :(

EDIT:_ THe other thing that strikes me as strange is the idea they are making smaller cores, but only 10% smaller on separate runs for 5850's. With such terrible yields, surely salvaging 5850's from failed 5870's is the way to go? Maybe yields are so bad that very few cores dead centre(where the silicon is normally best and most uniformly set out) are working and theres a cut off point where they simply don't work at all and can't be salvaged.

Again it yields were higher we'd probably also get more salvaged 5850 parts further reducing costs. It seems so laughable that TSMC have come out and proclaimed their 40nm process fixed and better.

Last edited:
Soldato
tactical from ATI I think, the 5850 will be very close to 5870 in performance and hurt sales, bet they are a couple of Weeks away yet ;)

D13

D13

Associate
there is a very big etailer that lists the eta for 5850 cards as 15th October, that si slightly worrying

bru

bru

Soldato
on the price per wafer/core front, as has been posted before ATI only pay for working cores not per wafer.

brightsideofnews article

so does this mean that the 5850 would be the acceptable working core and they then split them 5850/5870, or two seperate runs....?

Associate
Did a search for 5850's on google and a couple of sites are saying they expect stock in 3-4 weeks.

This thread is full of nerd rage, i remember i used to get that ****ed off about stuff as well. Brilliant :)

Caporegime
Its all going Pete Tong :eek:

Dirt 2 postponed, now Stalker Call Of Pripyat.

We have to give AMD a lot of credit for being the first with DirectX 9, DirectX 10.1 and now with DirectX 11. Radeon HD5870 does support DirectX 11, but when it comes to games that support it, there are still not out.

Dirt 2 PC version is postponed, and now we are hearing that Stalker DirectX 11 version is also pushed at least to January 2010. The bad thing for ATI is that Nvidia should also have its DirectX 11 card before the end of the year.

We don’t expect that the few games that will come out in the first half of 2010 will make a big difference in both visual quality and performance, as most of the games in 2009 are programmed for consoles first, and then ported to PC. The basic game, let's take Dirt 2 as an example, is finished for consoles as „DirectX 9“ as this is the best that R500 from ATI in the Xbox 360 or RSX from Nvidia in Playstation 3 can cope with.

This trend will likely continue until the next generation consoles that should get equipped with hardware capable of coping at least with DirectX 11, if not DirectX 12.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15672/1/

:p

Back
Top Bottom