• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 or 5870 ?

Associate
On building my new system I am trying to decide which GFX card.

I am considering a 5870x2 after they are released (around Nov maybe??), but need a card in the next couple of weeks for my new system.

Do I bite the bullet and go for a 5870 now?

Do I go for a 5850 for now and get the 5870x2 as a Christmas pressie to myself? Would the 5850 play COD:MW2 at high res?

Or something else?

The system I am building so far is:

i7 920
Gigabyte UD5
6gb Patriot 1600mhz ram
SSD
Samsung F3 HDD sata2
Tagan 900w PSU
Gfx card - undecided yet
Soundcard - undecided yet
Windows 7 (eventually)
Monitor - NEC Multisync 24WMGX3

Thanks

Associate
OP
I will be using 1920 x 1200.

The reason I asked about the performance difference is that somebody has told me that a single 5870 will be more than sufficient, and I should wait a few months before bothering with the x2's, as I would be impressed with the performance of the single card and may not need to upgrade further.

Just after general thoughts on this, as don't want to blindly rush into anything and regret it later.

Caporegime
Single 5870 will handle that res with ease, so get id get one of those now, and then you can still add another one further down the line for Xfire if you wanted to.

Last edited:
Associate
I Think 2 seperate cards would be marginally faster than a dual core on its own yes. but then its the room these things take up, there huge!! :eek:
Im gonna grab a 5870 in a few weeks after they sort the stock out, personally the one card on its own will prob play anything on high anyway :D 2 is greedy:p

Last edited:

D13

D13

Associate
I'd go for a 30 quid card for now tbh lol, do you really want to spend 120 quid rather than wait a couple weeks - let alone 200?

this ^^

surely spend as little as possible, a second hand card for a fiver, that kind of thing.

Back
Top Bottom