• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5850 to Sapphire HD 7970 OC

Associate
Hey guys im looking to upgrade my graphics card its an
XFX 5850 BLACK with a scythe musashi cooler
to a
Sapphire HD 7970 OC

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-297-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=938

is this my best option bearing in mind i want a quiet a card as possible and somewhat futureproof for at least 2 years

also ive been an AMD fanboy and going for this 7970 is stretching the budget
i game at 1920x1200 usual games are the likes of BF3, Mass Effect, Skyrim.

cheers for any info given.

Soldato
It is a good option. Did you not want to consider a GTX 680? At your resolution, unless you're willing to overclock the card much further, the GTX 680 generally performs better. Not talking much but it is more.

Failing that, the MSI 7970's with the Twin Frozr III fans are worth a look as well.

Paying for an overclock out the box is silly though - what you should make sure you're paying more for is a custom fan set up. Then it becomes more worth it.

Edit: I think that is the cheapest 7970 with a custom fan built onto it so looks good. But do consider the 680 as well if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
its more for the custom fan and quietness is what im looking for.
the Twin Frozr III is to pricey and the 680 with custom fans are to pricey as well.
i dont mind doing a little overclock with the Sapphire 7970.

Back
Top Bottom