• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 having issues in World of Warcraft only !

Soldato
So i play WOW a lot i have a really strange issue wereby i get a constant 60fps with all settings at max at 1920x1200 but i get major stuttering.

I ran up GPUZ and CPUZ and looking at the sensors tab in GPUZ while playing last night the GPU load is 0% and the core speed goes up and down like a yoyo from 157 i think to 850mhz.

This looked strange i made sure it was not running in windowed mode etc.

I ran Dawn of War 2, core speed upto 850mhz and it stayed there and during playing GPU load was arround 90-100% all was fine slick as a greased ferret.

Any wow player will know it will take me a good couple of hours to reinstall the game from scratch so when i built my new rig i just transfered the wow folder it seems it didnt require an actual install to run.

Anyone else seen anything like this ? its almost as if my GPU doesnt know its running a game. I didnt get this on my 4870X2.

Associate
I haven't played WoW since the last patch, but maybe they screwed up shadows again in 3.2.2. Turn them down/off and see does that change anything. Also make sure you have the options to improve performance turned on, like V-sych, triple buffering.

Have you tried all the usual stuff? Turning off all addons(maybe the patch broke some), delete the WTF folder(or just move it to another folder so that u can move it back later).

Quote from blizzard about copying the game instead of installing:"You can copy the entire installed game folder over to the other system. You need to delete everything in the non-working folder and copy everything from the working folder. You can omit the Cache, WTF, Interface, Error, Update, Screenshot and Logs folder."

Associate
I also understand there were some problems involving spells that use transparency effects in the latest patch (A Specific example I noted is the Power Word Fortitude spell - 25 man raid gaining that at once gave me single figure frames) which might be a factor. This is due to be fixed in a mini patch.

Associate
I have copied the contents of the wow folder from machine to machine without any problems.
When is the stuttering happening? If it's only in dalaran then that's just part of the game not coping with 1000 people all running about together / spamming trade. If it's when you are out and about on your own / raids / bg's then that's kinda scary as i run it fine on a really turd setup p4 and 8600gt gfx!

Soldato
I used to have this problem with WoW, great fps, no lag, then a few secs where it would seem im running on full load / multiple apps and it would grind to a halt, before running great again. Didn't matter what zone i was in btw.

Unfortunately i can't remember how i solved the problem, so sorry to be of no actual use :(

Last edited:
Associate
I laughed .

Sure the stuttering isn't lag?

you be surprised i moved a WoW folder from a laptop running some 8400GS something graphics card to my 295GTX beast and i got stuttering???? untill i deleted the WTF folder...

Caporegime
I haven't had this problem, it seems to stutter a bit more than GTX280 did but no sign of downclocking and FPS holds up a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom