• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x wont show bios screen

Associate
I have an msi x570 tomahawk mobo and was using a 3600x cpu to get it all running. The 5900x arrived today and i fitted it.

I get a black screen with no post or bios onscreen, it will boot to windows after 3 attempts but i cant get into the bios at all it just stays black screen

Iv tried updsting the bios and resetting it, also renewed the 6800xt drivers too, no joy. Any ideas whats goin on?

Soldato
unknown then
i find on my monitor, i have to connect using hdmi for bios to show, using displayport it cannot show due to some limitation or other
if you've used hdmi, then clearly this isn't the issue

how did you update the bios when you couldn't get into it?
bios flashback?

Associate
This is a long shot but I wonder if it could be that the monitor is set to a resolution that the bios cannot be displayed at?

I have in the past read that changing the monitor resolution to a more standard 1080p and making sure hdr mode is off etc may allow the bios to show up.

Soldato
Do you have nvidia GPU ?

can’t find my other post (sorry on my phone) where I linked to the display port upgrade on nvidia GPUs. This fixed the issue for me.

Associate
Do you have nvidia GPU ?

can’t find my other post (sorry on my phone) where I linked to the display port upgrade on nvidia GPUs. This fixed the issue for me.

I was just about to link your helpful post for those drivers but then realised the OP has a 6800XT.

xrs

xrs

Associate
I have an LG monitor and have exactly the same issue. I never got to the bottom of what caused it. Fortunately I have a dual monitor setup and it works on the other monitor. The other monitor is 1080p, so perhaps the theory about the resolution being set too high on the monitor is correct.
I've had the issue on a 5700xt and now a 3080.

xrs

xrs

Associate
In another forum, someone mentioned the adaptive sync option needs to be turned off. It did not work for me unfortunately.

Associate
I had this issue myself on my lg - I could connect with dvi, but I found if I changed the display port 1.4 from enabled to disabled I could get into the bios on display port, unsure if it works on hdmi as I didnt try that cable

Associate
I have this problem when having done a bios reset, the problem is you have to enable launch csm to enable in bios, to do this I have to connect the monitor by dvi/hdmi. My monitor does not have dvi so used my old monitor to just be able to get in to bios to enable csm. Have you got dvi connection or a second monitor to hook up to do it. That was my problem anyway :)

Back
Top Bottom