• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5900x wont show bios screen

Associate
OP
I have this problem when having done a bios reset, the problem is you have to enable launch csm to enable in bios, to do this I have to connect the monitor by dvi/hdmi. My monitor does not have dvi so used my old monitor to just be able to get in to bios to enable csm. Have you got dvi connection or a second monitor to hook up to do it. That was my problem anyway :)

i have no dvi outputs, it has 2 hdmi (tried both) dp and a wierd small 1 (thunderbolt?)

Associate
How many sticks of memory do you have in? I had big problems and still having them with 4 sticks in my Dark hero motherboard. With two sticks all works fine.

Associate
i have no dvi outputs, it has 2 hdmi (tried both) dp and a wierd small 1 (thunderbolt?)
tbf it may not be your problem but worth thinking about to try if you can, It is a problem for me using dp, all i get is a black screen and no bios, but it still boots into windows and my fix is to make sure csm is enabled in bios, the problem is getting into bios lol

Associate
I have 2 screens bios will only show on the 1080p one and not the 1440p uw. I can only have one monitor plugged in when using the bios

Associate
On my LG if you have the wrong display port version (eg 1.2 instead of 1.4 and vice-versa) then it won't display BIOS. Menu > General > Dsiplayport Version on my monitors OSD menu. Maybe it's the same issue on yours. There's also a HDMI Compatability mode thing that might help.

edit : Never answer before finishing reading thread 'cos 10 other peeps might have already said about it :)

Associate
i see dp version 1.2 and its greyed out

Ahhh, this is what sorted out the bios issue for me, are you connected into the 1st displayport connection? (Long shot but I remember reading something about which display port was used on the gpu, probably way off though)

Associate
I did a fresh build the other day with 5900x - however I am yet to buy a new graphics card but thought I'd go ahead and install windows etc using the motherboard display inputs (HDMI and DP). I tried everything I could think of but could not boot to bios as monitor would not detect my system... Tried both ports, DVI to DP adapter (DVI in monitor side), one stick of ram, CMOS clear and so on.

So clutching at straws I decided to pinch my old GTX 1080 from my current PC to try that... boom booted straight to bios! Have you got a spare GPU to try?

Note this was with blank storage as I needed to boot to bios to install windows... I'm starting to wonder if I had the same problem as you? My motherboard is a Asus Rog Strix B550-F (Wifi) though so completely different.

Associate
I did a fresh build the other day with 5900x - however I am yet to buy a new graphics card but thought I'd go ahead and install windows etc using the motherboard display inputs (HDMI and DP). I tried everything I could think of but could not boot to bios as monitor would not detect my system... Tried both ports, DVI to DP adapter (DVI in monitor side), one stick of ram, CMOS clear and so on.

So clutching at straws I decided to pinch my old GTX 1080 from my current PC to try that... boom booted straight to bios! Have you got a spare GPU to try?

Note this was with blank storage as I needed to boot to bios to install windows... I'm starting to wonder if I had the same problem as you? My motherboard is a Asus Rog Strix B550-F (Wifi) though so completely different.
The 5900x doesn't have a gpu built into the die so the on-board motherboard display ports won't work for thay reason fyi

Associate
Another thing to try is that (I hope I'm remembering the entry right here) CSM option in BIOS. I've had some blank screen problems when this disabled/enabled. If it is currently on then disable and see if it makes a difference. If disabled then enable.

My experience with the motherboard and gfx card I'm using now, with the CSM option enabled my motherboard will favour a monitor plugged in to a DisplayPort over a monitor plugged into a HDMI port. I'm aware you don't use a DisplayPort cable but from what you've said, it sounds like a mini display port cable exists on your card. Your gfx card might be getting confused :) I've not seen this suggested for you to try so definitely worth a go.

Associate
OP
Another thing to try is that (I hope I'm remembering the entry right here) CSM option in BIOS. I've had some blank screen problems when this disabled/enabled. If it is currently on then disable and see if it makes a difference. If disabled then enable.

My experience with the motherboard and gfx card I'm using now, with the CSM option enabled my motherboard will favour a monitor plugged in to a DisplayPort over a monitor plugged into a HDMI port. I'm aware you don't use a DisplayPort cable but from what you've said, it sounds like a mini display port cable exists on your card. Your gfx card might be getting confused :) I've not seen this suggested for you to try so definitely worth a go.
I do you display port. I also have hdmi cancel.
Il try the csm option on and off.
What is csm?

Associate
I had this same issue with an LG ultrawide, made me think my first 5900X was faulty (which it was but that's another story) as I ruled out the monitor because it was working fine connected to my other computer. I kept wondering why it looked like it was booting fine but no display (sigh...).

Switching from UEFI to CSM (Compatibility Support Module) resolved it, I have a 1070 which is quite old so there's also the option of installing the Nvidia firmware fix for this issue with DisplayPort.

Associate

obviously not read the rest of this thread then :)

Back
Top Bottom