5960x overclocking frustrations on my second pc. Need some Guru help

Soldato
Hi guys.

I've put together a backup rig using some old parts generously passed my way from a forum favourite here. Its to go alongside my main gaming rig which is in my sig mainly to be used as an alternative nvidia system for recording/streaming and editing.

But Im having major issues getting this chip anywhere above 4ghz. It boots into windows at 4.5ghz just fine, but this morning ive started to stress testing and its just crashing immediately and shutting down all the way down to 4hz. I've been reading lots of older guides here and over on tweaktown on what bios tweaks to make, but so far nothing can get me running stable higher than 4ghz.

Judging by users around the internet, the majority seem to hit 4.4ghz no sweat just by upping vcore to around 1.3v and setting VCCIN to 1.9v. I'm using XMP overclocking RAM is Corsair Dominator 3200mhz.

Ive tried running RAM all the way down as low as 2133, but oddly when dropping RAM speeds its not even getting to POST.

Can you give me some pointers guys? I just want to get 4.3/4.4ghz, not looking to break records. But surely the chip must be able to achieve more than 4ghz. Cooling isnt a problem, its under a Kraken X62 AIO, temps wheb stressing 4ghz at 1.2v dont even exceed 51c.

Specs:

5960x Costa Rica
Asus Rampage V Extreme
16gb Corsair Dominator 3200mhz
Kraken X62 AIO

Thx in advance.

Last edited:
Soldato
First thing is to make sure your components are all fine. Set bios to Stock and Memory to XMP and run things like Realbench, Aida64 and other burn in tests. If all good make sure the CPU is set to 42x, 1.35v, llc lvl3 and current limit at 140%. Test and if everything is ok then bump the multiplier and test again.

Soldato
OP
Have you run a memtest ?

yep, everything is solid

First thing is to make sure your components are all fine. Set bios to Stock and Memory to XMP and run things like Realbench, Aida64 and other burn in tests. If all good make sure the CPU is set to 42x, 1.35v, llc lvl3 and current limit at 140%. Test and if everything is ok then bump the multiplier and test again.

I think that's my problem, I havent been giving it enough juice. I was a little concerned with putting more than 1.3v through the chip. It's running great at 4ghz at 1.2v, no issues what so ever. I'll try 1.35v and see what happens, all I want is 4.3/4.4ghz.

Back
Top Bottom