5G? Worth It?

Permabanned
How about when you want to connect to your plex home server and stream at full resolution. That's why

lol, that's something that 99.999% of the users would never do. I do not even know what you mean and I am much more inside than the majority of consumers lol

Soldato
lol, that's something that 99.999% of the users would never do. I do not even know what you mean and I am much more inside than the majority of consumers lol

Well you need to get up to speed...At least 9 people at work all run Plex to view their multimedia and rely on fast data speeds to get the optimum resolution whilst they're viewing their media files...and these people aren't what I call tech savvy.

Soldato
Well you need to get up to speed...At least 9 people at work all run Plex to view their multimedia and rely on fast data speeds to get the optimum resolution whilst they're viewing their media files...and these people aren't what I call tech savvy.
Plex must be really bad at transcoding if you notice a difference on 5G vs 4G.

Associate
How about when you want to connect to your plex home server and stream at full resolution. That's why

Yes I had a plex server but to be honest with the advent of Netflix and Amazon prime I pretty much retired the Plex. I dont have time to watch 10% of the things I want on netflix let alone anything else.

Most people will be like me and use the streaming services.

Soldato
Yes I had a plex server but to be honest with the advent of Netflix and Amazon prime I pretty much retired the Plex. I dont have time to watch 10% of the things I want on netflix let alone anything else.

Most people will be like me and use the streaming services.
All about them lunch time chills at work watching plex :)

Soldato

Changed my home internet connection (to 3 homefi) so I could do this, no more 0.5-1Mb upload limitation. If we get 5G in 2020/2021 then I'll be happy and upgrade to it.

Would wide spread 5G be a more cost effective option for high speed internet to homes? Fibre to a town full of properties Vs a few/several masts, I would interested to know which would be cheaper.

Soldato
For my usage, no, it's not worth it. In fact, I sometimes even have 4G disabled and use 3G because the coverage is better and I still stream Spotify and sometimes Netflix and Sky Go.

Soldato
Changed my home internet connection (to 3 homefi) so I could do this, no more 0.5-1Mb upload limitation. If we get 5G in 2020/2021 then I'll be happy and upgrade to it.

Would wide spread 5G be a more cost effective option for high speed internet to homes? Fibre to a town full of properties Vs a few/several masts, I would interested to know which would be cheaper.

The problem with the high microwave bands planned for use in 5G is that the distance it propagates at safe power levels can be less than 500 metres, so you’re looking at lots of masts/base stations for an average sizes town.

No idea what a 5G base station will cost, but the deployed cost of a 3 sector, single carrier 3G one was around £75K when Three UK was rolling them out between 2001 and 2006.

Soldato
The problem with the high microwave bands planned for use in 5G is that the distance it propagates at safe power levels can be less than 500 metres, so you’re looking at lots of masts/base stations for an average sizes town.

No idea what a 5G base station will cost, but the deployed cost of a 3 sector, single carrier 3G one was around £75K when Three UK was rolling them out between 2001 and 2006.

Indeed.

Also, I'm sceptical of the quality of the connection and how it'll vary with the environment and load.

Last edited:
Caporegime
4g is plenty.
I can't see the time when on a phone I need anything more than 4g.

The screens don't need any more res. So what else are you going to do?

4g+ is more than enough

Back
Top Bottom