5k in 6 weeks...im a potato

Soldato
I have a charity 5k in a little over 6 weeks, last year we walked it but I said after I wanted to run it this year.

Ive realised it is now 6 weeks and if i am going to run it i need to start something, like, tonight!

I am looking for a good (preferably free) android app that is goinf to help me with this and was after suggestions of any that people have successfully used before.

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
OP
Ended up with the "official" C25K one...seems OK, having Sarah Millican talking to me throughout was nice :)

I didn't collapse, which is a good start :D

Associate
As long as you can run at least three times per week, you'll be able to run a 5k in six weeks. Although if I remember correctly, I think the C25k is based on 8ish weeks so you may need to start on one of the later weeks.

Good luck :D

Soldato
OP
As long as you can run at least three times per week, you'll be able to run a 5k in six weeks. Although if I remember correctly, I think the C25k is based on 8ish weeks so you may need to start on one of the later weeks.

Good luck :D

Yeah it's 9 weeks with 3 times a week, so im just going to do alternate days so will get 4 runs a week in every alternate week :)

Soldato
I paid £2.80 for the C25K Pro app yesterday. Went out last night and started the day 1 task. It was 5min warm up followed by 8 x 1min runs separated by 90sec rest.

anyway, 10mins in and I woundered why nothing was happening. Looked at my phone and it said, right start running. Ran for a minute and it said, now it's time to walk. Fair enough I thought. 90secs later it said begin running. So I started running, 3mins in and I'm thinking this seems like a long minute. Checked phone and the app had cancelled the session. Got a refund! What a load of ****

so can anyone recommend something which actually works please? I'm on android which may be the issue.

Thanks

Caporegime
Not sure yopu need any kind of app.

Just go out and run, make sure it is not too hard. Add walking breaks as and when needed. Over time reduce the quantity and length of walking break and extend the running as comfortable. always better to be conservative than too push too hard. Start running about 4 days a week and then build up after a few months. If you feel any minor pain then stop and walk home, take a rest day, try again and if still pain wait 2-3 days etc.

Soldato
Yeah don't bother with apps just get a cheap digital watch (the one I use for running cost £4).

When I was starting out training for 5K I used to warm up for 5mins with a slow jog then sprint for 30secs every next 5mins. Got my 5k to under 25mins doing that.

Soldato
OP
How's the running going?

Really well thank you :)

I've just done 3.85 miles in 49 minutes...5 minute walk, 8 minutes run, 5 minutes walk, 8 minutes run, 3 minutes walk, and then the rest running. Still using the C25K app as a starter, but then pretty much running once its done as much as i can back home. Havent missed a run day yet, a Sunday morning run with a hangover was fun :D

I just find im able to run further and further every single time without getting too much out of breath and recovering so much quicker

Caporegime
Really well thank you :)

I've just done 3.85 miles in 49 minutes...5 minute walk, 8 minutes run, 5 minutes walk, 8 minutes run, 3 minutes walk, and then the rest running. Still using the C25K app as a starter, but then pretty much running once its done as much as i can back home. Havent missed a run day yet, a Sunday morning run with a hangover was fun :D

I just find im able to run further and further every single time without getting too much out of breath and recovering so much quicker

you don't want to do any walking IMO.

you only do that if you are wanting to build up speed. as in you sprint/run for so long then recover whilst walking to then go all out again.

for stamina work you want to run at a constant speed for longer distances. so I would aim for 4 x 1 hour sessions a week.

for 2 of the sessions run 10K at a constant pace with no stopping allowed what so ever. this will mean you won't be running very fast. not to begin with anyway. and 10K should take around an hour to begin with or over it and then over time get quicker and quicker.

the other 2 sessions you focus on running as fast as you can for a minute then rest for 2 minutes and repeat until your hour of running is done. this will help build speed but you do need to go flat out don't cheat yourself.

Soldato
OP
you don't want to do any walking IMO.

you only do that if you are wanting to build up speed. as in you sprint/run for so long then recover whilst walking to then go all out again.

for stamina work you want to run at a constant speed for longer distances. so I would aim for 4 x 1 hour sessions a week.

for 2 of the sessions run 10K at a constant pace with no stopping allowed what so ever. this will mean you won't be running very fast. not to begin with anyway. and 10K should take around an hour to begin with or over it and then over time get quicker and quicker.

the other 2 sessions you focus on running as fast as you can for a minute then rest for 2 minutes and repeat until your hour of running is done. this will help build speed but you do need to go flat out don't cheat yourself.

Im literally just following the coach to 5k app :) im up to 25 minutes of running now...the 5k has been postponed until July so i have a bit longer to train now :)

Caporegime
Im literally just following the coach to 5k app :) im up to 25 minutes of running now...the 5k has been postponed until July so i have a bit longer to train now :)

i would forget the app. it's training you do be able to run 5K but not do it very well.

to do it well you need to focus on stamina training (long distance with constant speed) and speed training.

the training your doing right now is basically easy mode for people with zero interest of really getting good at 5K's.

as in i don't care if my target today is to run for an hour constant if i feel i have more in me i'll run for 90 minutes constant pace. adjust the plan to suit you and your progression.

the fact the max distance it does in the C 2 5k plan is 5K is poor preparation for a 5K.

it's doing the bare minimum and that is it. by doing slower 10K runs you will have more than enough stamina for a 5K. then by working on sprint work it will build up your pace and how long you can hold that pace for. then you can do a full 5k at a fast pace.

the app just shows you how to slowly build up to jogging 5k with no real focus on it being the best 5k you could run. by only foing 5K max in your training your not really building your stamina to make 5K's easy. you will always find it hard work. by doing 10K's in your plans you will find the 5K's easy and be able to build the speed up in them.

it's 2 different aspects to training for running, stamina and speed work. you need to do separate training for both.

Associate
i would forget the app. it's training you do be able to run 5K but not do it very well.

to do it well you need to focus on stamina training (long distance with constant speed) and speed training.

the training your doing right now is basically easy mode for people with zero interest of really getting good at 5K's.

as in i don't care if my target today is to run for an hour constant if i feel i have more in me i'll run for 90 minutes constant pace. adjust the plan to suit you and your progression.

the fact the max distance it does in the C 2 5k plan is 5K is poor preparation for a 5K.

it's doing the bare minimum and that is it. by doing slower 10K runs you will have more than enough stamina for a 5K. then by working on sprint work it will build up your pace and how long you can hold that pace for. then you can do a full 5k at a fast pace.

the app just shows you how to slowly build up to jogging 5k with no real focus on it being the best 5k you could run. by only foing 5K max in your training your not really building your stamina to make 5K's easy. you will always find it hard work. by doing 10K's in your plans you will find the 5K's easy and be able to build the speed up in them.

it's 2 different aspects to training for running, stamina and speed work. you need to do separate training for both.

What did/do you do for speed work? I've been doing a c210k programme for 5 weeks and a few tempo and progression runs has allowed me to increase my speed by 0.4 kph, albeit from 8 kph, but an increase nonetheless.

How many sessions per week were dedicated to speed work?

Back
Top Bottom