• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6 pin pci power cable to radeon 5850 graphics card

Associate
i have a
Kolink Core Series KL-C500 500W 80 Plus Certified

i bought a used HIS Radeon 1Gb 5850 Graphics card

It needs two 6 pin connectors for power

My psu only has 1 6+2 pci connector.

Can i used the card?

Can i use a molex to 6 pin adapter?

If yes ( i only have one spare molex on psu left) can i use the one molex to 6 pin, or does it have to be those 2 x molex to 6 pin connectors (as maybe one molex would not supply enough power)?

Thanks

Soldato
6 pin connectors are 150 Watts! I wouldn't power the molex to pci connector with only one molex, it may work but for how long?? You are over stressing the single molex doing that, I'm not sure what they are rated to but I'm sure that it's not 150 Watts. It will be a fire risk!

Soldato
It's not recommended, but a lot of graphics cards come with those adaptors. The 5850 isn't a very power hungry card, about 150w maximum, so spread over the two 6-pin connectors shouldn't cause you a problem. In short, go ahead it'll be fine. Plus that power supply only has one 12v rail so all the connectors share the same source of power.

Associate
OP
my case and psu only has one molex free ,

thanks yes it an older card and i read it has lower power consumption,

if you HAD to use two molex, would it work if you used a splitter to split one molex into two, then connected those two to one molex to 6 pin adapter?

Soldato
Your best bet would be to get an 8-pin to 2x 6-pin adaptor.

NB: 6-pin connectors are 75w rated, it's the 8pin like on OP's PSU that are 150w rated.

Soldato
if you HAD to use two molex, would it work if you used a splitter to split one molex into two, then connected those two to one molex to 6 pin adapter?
No.

To put it in perspective, you're asking if this:
ifthis.png

Is better than this:
thanthis.png

Man of Honour
Heads up guys, this person does not listen to the advice he is given and will just go and do his own thing anyway.

This is where going against everyones advice and buying that piece of crap psu is going to bite you in the ass. Like we tried to tell you, those Kolink psu's are built down to a budget with as many corners cut as possible. That so called 500w psu isn't capable of anywhere near 500w on the 12v rail where it's needed. It only has 360w on it's 12v rail and after seeing the abysmal quality components inside one of these I would be surprised if it could even manage that. In my opinion the Kolink Core series and KL series are barely a level above a generic no name psu. I had a Asus 5850 and it is still the best overclocking card I have ever owned but the card alone can draw up to 150w when gaming and once overclocked will easily pass 200w which will most likely see your crappy psu scream out "enough" before it dies, possibly taking other components with it. If you listened to us in the first place you would have had a decent psu with all the right connectors and enough power for just about any single gpu. Why on earth have you bought a ancient 5850 for a Ryzen system anyway?

Associate
OP
"against everyones advice" not really I do research and tkae advice on board and yes i make my own decisions as im the one goign to use it end of.

Kolink was reccomended by overclockers if you look at their main site they Feature Kolink PSU! so if you telling me they crap then arent you going against overclockers advice?

bought 5850 as it has good reviews and wanted a temp card till i saved up for a better one we not all made of money.

As for advice, in this thread i asked about getting power via another 6pin, people have advised going for an adapter and im doing that.... 5850 is said to be power efficient and can work off a single molex to pci adapted cable (ive asked reputable engineeers)

Also the card had to have 2 dual link DVI I sockets, like the 5850 does

Last edited:
Man of Honour
"against everyones advice" not really I do research and tkae advice on board and yes i make my own decisions as im the one goign to use it end of.

Kolink was reccomended by overclockers if you look at their main site they Feature Kolink PSU! so if you telling me they crap then arent you going against overclockers advice?

You really believe all that marketing rubbish? If you do then you are more gullible than I thought. Shock horror as retailer whose parent company is trying to push these psu's put's up a load of marketing rubbish to promote them. I will tell you something about psu's that OCUK have branded as their own in the past. First off was the OCUK/Huntkey psu's which blew up and some even caught fire. Once they had enough of that came the OCUK Ace and similarly named units that were just abysmal Powercool psu's renamed by OCUK. Now we have Kolink which the manufacturer clearly has no faith in their own product by putting disclaimers on the unit stating that power should not exceed a level that is lower than the power they are supposed to deliver and a pathetic 2 year warranty. I couldn't care less what OCUK says about them, although this forum is paid for by OCUK this is a enthusiast forum and the vast majority of poster have nothing to do with the shop. I have seen a picture of the internals of a KL series and there is nothing inside but the very cheapest components and until they send some off for a full review including component analysis from a site such as Jonnyguru or Techpowerup that proves me to be wrong I will continue to put people off using them. Of course they will never be reviewed in that manner because they will be shown to be the generic garbage that they are. I hope you told your so called "engineer" the piece of crap you will be powering it from. I actually had a 5850 so I know how much power they can draw. You are trying to make a low quality psu do something it wasn't designed to do. You also couldn't have done much research before buying the Kolink other than coming on here, asking for advice and then ignoring it. If you did you would have come across several posts on various forums of Kolink KL series blowing up at first switch on, failing after a week or two of use, 700w units not able to power a 400w system and many more tales of woe. I hope you don't learn the hard way that the psu is not a place to save money.

Well to be honest the worst that can happen is that he'll blow the PSU and/or the GPU and do £30 worth of damage.

Actually it can be much worse than that. A failed psu, especially if it blows up, can take other components with it including the motherboard, cpu, memory, GPU and hard drives/SSD's. We have seen it on here many times before.

Soldato
bought 5850 as it has good reviews
You do know those reviews are from 2009 not 2019 yeah? ;P

Seriously tho, all you need to get your stuff working is an 8pin to dual 6pin adaptor, that will allow you to plug your PSUs 6+2pin connector into the two 6pins on the card and everything will be in spec.

Back
Top Bottom