6 Points, No insurance!

Soldato
silversurfer said:
You could ask on five-o forum if you want to settle this. Personally I think your car is still covered for theft and a ban doesnt affect your accident record so long as you declare it.
You could phone up the present insurers and tell them, I dont think it'd affect anything. They may try and charge you more, which is maybe dark_side's point
i genuinely don't know.
my initial question was a serious one.

Associate
Sorry for coming into this late, but I don't see what the insurance has to do with it.

OP has been banned from driving for 30 days, he hasn't been banned from having insurance...

Taking your original example from 13:23 yesterday, yes he would be able to claim if someone ran off with his car (quite literally by the sounds of it ;) ).

He should tell his insurers that he has a 30 day ban and the code etc, but it wouldn't invalidate his insurance.

As for losing his NCB, I would very much doubt it. As mentioned, he hasn't put in a claim and his insurance will still be running. OP should get his 1 yr NCB when the policy runs out.

Soldato
I know a 18 yr old kid who got 5 points and a few hundred quid for going the wrong way around a roundabout - it's not always a ban.

Soldato
Thing is, how do you define a year of driving? I havent driven my car in weeks because im at uni, but im still gonna have an extra NCB from it come february. Theres no reason for andy not get his ncb, its not "A year of claim free driving", its "A year of claim free insurance".

If it was otherwise, they'd have claim free miles or something! "Congrats you've driven 5000 claim free miles". Damn that system would actually make a lot of sense! People who town drive 3k a year dont deserve the same discount our 25k reppers do tbh!

Associate
When you take out an Insurance policy you tell them what kind of license you have and how long you have had it.

If you no longer have the license at the end of the term, you have broken that contract and so they are well within their rights not to credit you with anything regarding the insurance contract.

Soldato
Chris1712 said:
Thing is, how do you define a year of driving? I havent driven my car in weeks because im at uni, but im still gonna have an extra NCB from it come february. Theres no reason for andy not get his ncb, its not "A year of claim free driving", its "A year of claim free insurance".
my question simply meant that as he was banned he was UNABLE to drive, even though we are talking about a very short period i was still curious about the principle involved.
as i said earlier, if you were six months into your policy and you received a six month ban, would you be entitled to a years extra bonus at the end of that year even though you'd been prohibited from driving for half of it?

Soldato
Rhyzz said:
When you take out an Insurance policy you tell them what kind of license you have and how long you have had it.

If you no longer have the license at the end of the term, you have broken that contract and so they are well within their rights not to credit you with anything regarding the insurance contract.
well that's the way it would seem to me, although if MERLIN or another insurance bod could clarify using their knowledge of the ways of the force it'd put this to bed once and for all.

Soldato
But isn't it a 30 day ban he's on? So he's not actually lost his license, and once the ban ends he will still hold a valid license without having to resit a test?

I can't see the problem with the insurance myself.

Soldato
thebrasso said:
But isn't it a 30 day ban he's on? So he's not actually lost his license, and once the ban ends he will still hold a valid license without having to resit a test?
it's been quite a while since i was disqualified so maybe things have changed.
if driver who has been driving for, say 10 years, and reveives a 6 month ban would he have to resit a test?

Last edited:
Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
my question simply meant that as he was banned he was UNABLE to drive, even though we are talking about a very short period i was still curious about the principle involved.
as i said earlier, if you were six months into your policy and you received a six month ban, would you be entitled to a years extra bonus at the end of that year even though you'd been prohibited from driving for half of it?

If you had a six month ban midway into your policy at the end of the year you would be entitled to your NCB. Your assumption here is that you're earning the NCB through driving for a year without claim. That's simply not the case. You earn your NCB through paying for a year without a claim. If you want to pay even though you can't drive then the insurance company couldn't give a damn, they're taking your money and you won't be putting in a claim any time soon!

In a previous post you say if you cancelled your policy after three months you would not expect a year's NCB. Quite right too. But the reason you're not getting your NCB is because you hadn't paid for a year's claim free insurance.

This principle is why many young drivers buy a clapped out unroadworthy old banger for £50, insure it but never take it on the road and get added to their parents policy on their better car and drive that from time to time. Lets you build up NCB even though you never drive the thing.

Last edited:
Soldato
BigT said:
This principle is why many young drivers buy a clapped out unroadworthy old banger for £50, insure it but never take it on the road and get added to their parents policy on their better car and drive that from time to time. Lets you build up NCB even though you never drive the thing.
true, but while this is a little bit naughty of them, it at least possible whereas if you suddenly have no license it's a different story.
as i've said earlier i'm ASKING about, not TELLING this scenario and it's accuracy.
i'd like to hear the official party line from someone that works in the insurance industry.

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
as i've said earlier i'm ASKING about, not TELLING this scenario and it's accuracy.

Sure. Sorry if my reply came across wrong, I was just clarifying for you based on a brief conversation I had with a friend in the industry last night after reading this thread. From what they said, I don't think you even need to hold a license to insure a car. i.e. not just bans but simply never have taken a test. He was unsure of this though.

Associate
My bro got banned from driving for 6 months for speeding a few years back. He had 2 months left on his policy so phoned up his insurance to tell them of ban and to down-grade his policy from fully comp to F&T as it would only be sitting on his drive. Insurance said it wouldn't affect his NCD as its still insured for theft and fire. Doesn't matter if your driving it or not your still insured. He then renewed his policy at the end of the 2 months with an extra years no claims. He could still insure his car for F&T even though he was banned, and as no claims where made he was entitled to his NCD.

Back
Top Bottom