• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£600 to spend on a single Graphics card ! What one should I get ?

Man of Honour
Oh lol, now your just reduced to making blanket statements.

Its no good saying But but but in this case or that case... its not so bad.... and so on. thats a poor argument. it really is. Mantle just does the job DX cant regardless, no need for compromise.

The 290X is cheaper than the 780TI, it has More vRam, the performance is the same in DX, its much better in Mantle and the 780TI does not have Mantle.

Passion for a product can have us backing our favourite colour. at the end of the day your arguing against something that is plenty independently evident.

In this case the 290X is just plain and simple the better option, there are opportunities where the 780TI is, this isn't it. no matter how hard you try, and its an individuals money thats being played with here.

The 780TI is a lesser yet more expensive compromise, the 290X is the real thing.

I was replying to a post where the choice was between a Titan Black and a 780ti.

I can not recommend an expensive new 6gb card for use @1440p as it is a total waste. I also don't remember AMD sneaking out a 6gb version of the 290X either lol.

Humbug do you have a 290x ?

I don't think he has, but I know someone who has 4.:cool:

The 290Xs are very good cards and if you can run the Asus bios and GPU Tweak it is possible to do some serious overclocking. Having said that 9 times out of 10 they come off second to the 780ti's. The question for anyone considering either of these cards is do you want to part with an extra £100 for the 780ti.

Passion for a product can have us backing our favourite colour. at the end of the day your arguing against something that is plenty independently evident.

This would be so true if we swapped places.:D

Associate
I currently run at 2560x1440 and have been for the past 3 years without issues using a GTX580. I have just upgraded as its been 3 years to a 780 but the increase in performance wasnt as much as I expected be it that both cards were able to handle pretty much all games at playable fps without issues (although I had upgraded before BF4 came out)...

-BF4 approximately 60-72 fps with everything high
- Wow never really drops below 60 with area's sometimes hitting 105-110fps

I will be upgrading again shortly as I'm getting greedy so it will be to either an sli'd 780 setup or the 800 series cards when they show their heads...

Caporegime
Turn AA off and what I say is true.
at 2560x1600 AA isn't exactly required.

It does happen. If I had time to **** about installing Crysis 3 and benching i would prove it.

Ahhh but you did say "Max", which to me means full details. Thanks for clarifying that you wasn't running max and that you turned AA off :)

Soldato
Everyone has gone round the houses here. The OP has £600 to spend. If he wants to max out games and run at 60 fps, and be good for 2 or 3 years he has to go SLI or crossfire. One of anything right now does not cut it. End of story.

Up the budget a tiny bit, or find used, and get 2 x 780 or 2 x 290. Job done.

Soldato
Ahhh but you did say "Max", which to me means full details. Thanks for clarifying that you wasn't running max and that you turned AA off :)

My view on the Term "max" in this situation is not the same as yours gregster sorry.

Mine is where the Detail's options are all at their highest, yet AA applied to make the Image IQ right for the game.

In BF4 2x AA is the most required :) (For me)
in Crysis I didnt need it but when i went xfire i added it for the lols

Soldato
Should I wait then as its very important that its only a single card ! As I don't want any of this SLI stuff, maybe I should just wait another 6 months.

any2 card system i'm afraid is not what he wants
He will have to wait How long is a price of string for this tbh
790 or Amd 's 7990 replacement would be ok i think But this might suit his single card idea's

Soldato
Everyone has gone round the houses here. The OP has £600 to spend. If he wants to max out games and run at 60 fps, and be good for 2 or 3 years he has to go SLI or crossfire. One of anything right now does not cut it. End of story.

Up the budget a tiny bit, or find used, and get 2 x 780 or 2 x 290. Job done.

Does not cut it :confused: A little bit misleading I find both a 290x and 780ti do a perfect job at 1440p and I run all the settings at max. I think the occasional unnoticeable drop below 60fps is more than acceptable especially as it is in generally poorly optimised games.

For a gamer who plays games and does not constantly watch fps counters either a 290x or 780ti is perfect for 1440p and tbh I would save a few quid and go 290 or 780. Both of which still do a superb job.

Soldato
Does not cut it :confused: A little bit misleading I find both a 290x and 780ti do a perfect job at 1440p and I run all the settings at max. I think the occasional unnoticeable drop below 60fps is more than acceptable especially as it is in generally poorly optimised games.

For a gamer who plays games and does not constantly watch fps counters either a 290x or 780ti is perfect for 1440p and tbh I would save a few quid and go 290 or 780. Both of which still do a superb job.

True enough. Most current games will run ok with one. But already there are games like crysis 3, skyrim enb modded, just 2 examples, that need a lot more power for 60fps at 1440p.
The op also says 'all top new games', so some stuff coming out in the next few years will most likely be even more taxing.

Anyway, where's he gone? Everyone else seems more interested in his dilemma than him :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
My view on the Term "max" in this situation is not the same as yours gregster sorry.

Mine is where the Detail's options are all at their highest, yet AA applied to make the Image IQ right for the game.

In BF4 2x AA is the most required :) (For me)
in Crysis I didnt need it but when i went xfire i added it for the lols

The problem with those statements though is interpretation. I am sure that you are happy with the IQ on your settings but that doesn't give a true reflection of the term "Max settings". If I ever put "Max settings", that means the highest the game allows and nothing less. Any other settings lowered wouldn't be "Max settings" and i would put something like:

Crysis 3 plays well for me at 1600P with max settings but with no AA.

That way people can see what they could potentially expect to achieve and having a constant is best. Maximum settings is to me what is says (maximum settings).

Soldato
Get 780Ti, stay away from Geforce experience, optimise and enjoy gaming!

Fixed that for you

Been using Geforce experience for a good while and the optimize settings for me anyway spot on gaming wise at 1440p SLI 670 see sig.

Higher the resolution you don't need settings on ultra, etc as you have more pixels giving better detail anyway.

All my friends us it with GPU's ranging from 660 Ti, SLI 560 Ti, 770, 650/70 Dual Bios and had no problems as this saves you messing about with settings.

I see AMD are bringing out the AMD Gaming Evolved application.

Soldato
I think the OP should save some money and just get a 290x or a 780ti and save the rest of the cash.

Im sure for 90% of titles either card will be fine at that res. For the others, just lower the settings a little. I know it's difficult (Im much the same) but at that res I think your have to swallow the pill sometimes.

Soldato
I think the OP should save some money and just get a 290x or a 780ti and save the rest of the cash.

Im sure for 90% of titles either card will be fine at that res. For the others, just lower the settings a little. I know it's difficult (Im much the same) but at that res I think your have to swallow the pill sometimes.

Personally I do not think it is worth paying the extra for either a 290x or 780ti over the 290 or 780.

I do find the Nvidia drivers considerably better than AMD and the Ge-force experience works very well. Everything feels a bit more polished and thought out with the Nvidia cards.

Soldato
The problem with those statements though is interpretation. I am sure that you are happy with the IQ on your settings but that doesn't give a true reflection of the term "Max settings". If I ever put "Max settings", that means the highest the game allows and nothing less. Any other settings lowered wouldn't be "Max settings" and i would put something like:

Crysis 3 plays well for me at 1600P with max settings but with no AA.

That way people can see what they could potentially expect to achieve and having a constant is best. Maximum settings is to me what is says (maximum settings).
Yea But in that case Nothing can play Crysis 3 at Truly Maximum settings.

True max would be All max in CCC and in game no? then watch it run @ 20fps with 290x Xfire

Anyway, Will use Max (No AA) when i refer to Max in future just for you ;)

Back
Top Bottom