£600k, Dragons Den..

Soldato
Epic lulz, my agency could have done that for £2.5k. And it wouldn't look like WordPress either.

Lol.

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a01a8'

Object required: 'value'

/interface/scripts/asp/database.asp, line 178

Last edited:
Associate
something weird with this site.. which suggest that the developers have not fully tested this site out properly...

click around and noticed that there was my home page option...

i didn't sign in, register or anything....

Epic lulz, my agency could have done that for £2.5k. And it wouldn't look like WordPress either.

i don't believe that for a second, that you would be able knock that out.

Associate
Ha , i think you can edit the account info here aswell :p

Edit : Another error , :o :
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e78'

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.

/interface/phase3/asp/includes/boxes/home/forum-sign-up.asp, line 27

Edit : lol , changed some account info and you can now login with user : [email protected] and password : lol .

Last edited:
Caporegime
the site could easily be cloned and apear far better by someone in there spare time and it wouldnt cost anywhere near 600k, it wouldnt be that hard to negotiate with asda , tesco wherever either to get some commision for ingredients.

you dont need to spend loads of money on marketing just go around a bunch of cooking forums :p
i dont see how any real money can be made from such a venture though i doubt many people will order ingredients via the site.

theres far better cooking sites anyway such as the ones where you can put in the ingredients you have and they give you a list of recipes you could make

daz

daz

Soldato
Graze is beautiful and delicious - setup by the same people who started Lovefilm.

Yeah I noticed that, they obviously think there's something to businesses that generate a recurring income. ;)

I can't help but think , if an idea is absolutely brilliant , you wouldn't need to go on Dragon's Den to get investors .

I can't think of any sites that are big on the internet, that haven't had venture capital funding at some stage of their development. Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Youtube et al all took large amounts of venture capital.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
lol at everyone saying the site is a ripoff at 600k, as said it's not 600k purely on making a website, it's everything else as well :)

I'm sure her mortgage payments are probably in with that figure as well :p

Caporegime
So I take it this site is just for making money when they sell it in the future? Building the site and userbase up and then selling that, not advertising or selling of actual goods?

As for the design, I quite like it, however I 'm not going to comment on how well coded it is.

Soldato
is it possible that they've got purchases from businesses basically for access to the DB, maybe with the shopping facility, I've heard several mentions from different media companies and even some tv manufacturers about providing some kind of recipe book solution. The website shouldn't have cost anything like that, but I can't imagine they actually spent more than 50-100k on the site itself

v0n

v0n

Soldato
£600k is what you sell business of that type for, not mount up the running costs. Even in dot com times if you had £600k running costs over 2 years for a niche, European run no direct sales or straight profit making website that depends on user contributions like cooking recipes blog investors would step in and start chopping your bills and staff left right and center as it's impossible to recover those kind of debts without over the top sale to numnut rubbish collectors like AOL. And let's face it - even AOL wouldn't buy it unless it was finished, secure, US based with few million active users.

In due diligence process they will probably also discover there are no legal grounds which would allow the site itself to sell on cherished recipes and mechanisms to prohibit users from submitting already patented or branded recipes. Which means the moment book is out you'll have lawsuits for "this is my grammas recipe in my family for centuries" and "what were you thinking publishing jafa cakes production notes" by a dozen.

As far as web businesses go this one is absolute insanity. There is nothing in that website except good domain (relatively - certainly better that desperate word salads like recipezaar.com or foodari.com). However, the fact that mydish.com is already owned by satellite tv provider in US and "mydish" is registered trademark over there, this business will never scale internationally as a brand and there is simply not enough income to be had from recipe site in UK.

And on that note. I'm not going to invest and I'm out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom