• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

690 or Sli 680-7990 or CF 7970.

Associate
Hi I'm curious to know which is better or have always been a single 90s card or CF-Sli 70s and 80s.

Cheers
DX

Soldato
Hi there,

Unfortunately, the GTX 690 and HD 7990 haven't been released yet or reviewed, so we really can't say one way or other.

However, going by the performance of the current top-end single-GPU cards I would say that unless you are playing games at a very high resolution or across multiple monitors then in modern games at least one of these single-GPU cards is sufficient. Also, you don't get the problems with multi-GPU cards like high noise, a lot of heat output, high temps, poor overclockability, reliance on multi-GPU scaling and possibly microstutter.

Associate
In general I'm under the impression SLI single gpu cards is more practical for heat, driver issues / sli issues with games (simply run one card for a specific game).

As for picking the best of that lineup i can't help sorry.

Soldato
Getting 2x card instead of 1x dual GPU card is always the preferred option unless you fall into a specific set of criteria. One of them being borderline craziness :)

Only kidding on the last bit but 2 cards is much better for heat and noise (and price!).

Soldato
Getting 2x card instead of 1x dual GPU card is always the preferred option unless you fall into a specific set of criteria. One of them being borderline craziness :)

Only kidding on the last bit but 2 cards is much better for heat and noise (and price!).

+1

Dual GPU cards are only worth it if you don't have space or they're considerably cheaper.

Associate
Unfortunately, the GTX 690 and HD 7990 haven't been released yet or reviewed, so we really can't say one way or other.

Also, you don't get the problems with multi-GPU cards like high noise, a lot of heat output, high temps, poor overclockability, reliance on multi-GPU scaling and possibly microstutter.

As above some of them are not released - All of them will possibly have the problems mentioned as they are all multi gpu set ups whether they be 2 cards or multi gpu's on a single pcb.

But.... I have run a crossfire set up for the last 2 years and have had no real problems. Some games don't support xfire / sli but you can still use 1 card and play just fine. These games are few and far between I have found. Heat can be an issue but only if you have poor cooling. I have never suffered from micro stutter on either my 5870's or 7950's.

A shot in the dark would suggest the SLI 680's would beat all of the above in real world tests.

You will have to wait and see :)

Associate
OP
Ok looks like I'll be saving for CF or Sli then.

What is Maxwell? are these coming out in 2013? I might just save up for them if better.

Soldato
Yes, it is usually better to just get a good single GPU graphics card (like the GTX 680) and then instead of buying a second identical card further down the road just replace it with a next-generation card when it comes out (though it is often worth skipping a generation so you get a big performance jump from what you currently have - so long as your existing card is still performing OK).

Nvidia Maxwell does indeed seem to be coming out in 2013 - but that is still quite a way off. So far we have only seen one Kepler card (GTX 680) and we are expecting an even faster single GPU kepler card to arrive later this year using the GK110 core (the GTX 680 uses the GK104) - as well as the dual-GPU card.

Top Bottom