6gb/s SSD running at 3gb/s even though it's on a 6gb/s port?

Associate
Main system SSD seems to be running at 3gb SATA transfer rate even though it is on a 6gb/s port 1.

Hi Everyone.

I have just completed the install on a new Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD as my main system drive in my DAW PC and 2 new 500gb 850 EVO's as a storage drives.

6gb/s Port 1 - Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD
6gb/s Port 2 - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
3gb/s Port 1 - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD
3gb/s Port 2 - CD-ROM Player/burner
All configured in BIOS to SATA AHCI mode.

I'm running windows 7 sp 1 64bit home premium on a ASUS P8H77-V Mother Board (I know it's an old MB but it has always been stable and fast enough for my needs) with intel Core i5-3550 & 16mb Ram.

I downloaded and installed all the latest chip-set and SATA drivers for this MB from ASUS and I also have Intel's Rapid Storage Technology installed.

In the GUI for Intel's Rapid storage controller if you click on 'Advanced' it shows you what the SATA transfer rate is for each drive. It is showing that my main system drive (the 250 gb/s) is only getting a SATA transfer speed of 3gb/s even though it is on a 6gb/s port.

The EVO 500gb SSD that is on a 6gb/s port (port 2) is running at 6gb/s.

Obviously something seems wrong here but it is beyond me to work out why - okay I could simply change the cable around so that the 250gb EVO is in the port that the 500gb one is in but I'd rather fix the problem so both 6gb/s ports are working correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this please?

Much appreciated.

Associate
OP
Yes my SATA cables are SATA 3 rated - they were purchased from Overclockers but what I will do is try swapping them around and see what difference that makes.

Soldato
are you sure you haven't got your cables mixed up?

and was the 250GB running at 6Gbps before you installed the 500GBs?

are you running raid also? if so then the drive connected to SATA2 port would be the max speed of the raid raid system.

also there is no such thing as SATA3 rated cable. All sata cables are capable of full 6Gbps, its a market ploy.

Permabanned
Intel® H77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue,
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *

Back
Top Bottom