£70k for a Sierra you say????

Caporegime
I suspect what many of the younger forum members don't appreciate is that the original Cossie was a real pin up car back then.

A homologation special, with stand out performance (for the time). It was comparatively raw - made only with the intention of selling the numbers required to allow the car to race and rally - not as compromised with creature comforts/ safe handling as would have been the case if Ford needed to sell them in larger volume. The BTCC series in those days was truly epic too and dominated by the RS500.

This made it something that people of that age aspired to, maybe even more so than a ferrari or a porsche as it was something anyone could afford if they did well for themselves.

Now in their 40s or 50s, unsuprisingly there will be plenty of those youngster who have now done well for themselves who wish to live that dream by buying the car they had on their bedroom wall. In their mind it might be their way of proving to themselves that they finally made it! (Mid life crisis?)
In that respect the price perhaps isn't so suprising if not entirely rational.

You can't judge it by modern hot hatch standards either - unsuprisingly in comparison it seems unspectacular as everyone and their dog copied the successful formula and had time to improve and refine the concept.

I'm old enough to remember RS Cossies on "C" plates, sitting in dealers as the "Winged wonder" that they were.

I'd love an RS 500, especially with the second bank of injectors activated & a map to suit..... that said, £70k for one?

Just LOL.

Soldato
Cosworth enthusiasts are nutters. Mate of mine is one. He's got an engine spec he's hoping will make 800+bhp as it's taken 7 years to get the best parts.

But he would trade it all for an RS500.... something older and slower - nutter.

Soldato
You have to be a real enthusiast to buy any classic car. If I was a lottery winner and really wanted one, I'd pay £75k, if that were the market value. It appears something like £30k is more the going rate. The guy in the OP seems to think it's completely unused :s

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3925150.htm

Seems much more realistic, though the advert is a bit poor!

I'd take this though - http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3948733.htm :)

Back
Top Bottom