** £75 OF OCULUS STORE CREDIT WHEN PURCHASING OCULUS RIFT **

OcUK Staff
For a limited period if you purchase an Oculus Rift Bundle from OCUK you'll receive a code for £75 of Oculus store credit. This is on top of the 6 free games you already receive when purchasing the Oculus Rift Headset Bundle!

Be quick, offer ends at the final whistle on 31st May 2018! We'll send the codes out after you have received your Oculus to the email address provided when you purchase.

Oculus Rift Bundle - Oculus Rift Headset and Oculus Touch Controllers FREE £75 OCULUS CREDIT @ £399.00 inc VAT

The Oculus Rift is unlike anything you've ever experienced. Whether you're stepping into your favourite game or watching an immersive VR film you'll feel like you're really there.

Only £399.00 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
hot damn, could i be buying a vr headset before having a rig to use it!? trigger finger.... easy now...

Associate
Wow, if I didn't have a Vive then I'd buy it too. I'm tempted at that price even to test out the difference between the two..

Associate
Which bits of your rig are holding you back?

Its a real nut buster, but i built this one before Oculus announced the requirement for USB 3.0
Hardly anything used USB 3 back then so i didnt bother getting a MoBo with it.
Everything else is ready for it. Scores 8.6 in the steam vr test too.

Associate
Its a real nut buster, but i built this one before Oculus announced the requirement for USB 3.0

It is possibly to run a Rift only using USB 2 - I think it might have been Melmac, but I know someone round here is running (or at least used to run) a Rift purely on USB 2. I've also seen people on r/oculus who have done the same. Still, results may vary, so don't take it as gospel that it will definitely work.

The technical difference is that with USB 3, the tracking cameras transmit an uncompressed image to your PC, whereas with USB2 the images are jpeg compressed. In theory, USB 3 should offer better, more accurate tracking. In practice, there doesn't really seem to be any difference.

Soldato
You can just get a USB add in card that has 3.0 ports running on a suitable chipset.

OcUK Staff
OP
Associate
Has anyone had success with that StarTech 3 port card?

I've never got my Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Card to work properly, I constantly get the usb device disconnecting then reconnecting sounds, it's the sensors because the tracking stutters for a few seconds each time. First tried Inateck drivers, then Windows drivers just using 2 of the ports. Have old socket 1155 motherboard.
(Sorry to hijack thread)

Associate
I've never got my Inateck 4 Ports PCI-E to USB 3.0 Card to work properly, I constantly get the usb device disconnecting then reconnecting sounds, it's the sensors because the tracking stutters for a few seconds each time. First tried Inateck drivers, then Windows drivers just using 2 of the ports. Have old socket 1155 motherboard.
(Sorry to hijack thread)
How many Rift components are you plugging into the Inateck card? If it's more than 2, then that's your problem. That card only has a single controller on it shared between all 4 ports, and plugging in more than 2 sensors (or 1 sensor + the headset) is more than it can cope with.

If you need a card to plug in all of the Rift sensors + the headset, make sure that it has at least 1 controller for every 2 ports.

Soldato

you might be fine with USB 2 only. It really depends on the quality of the port. You might need a USB 3 port for the headset, but, some people having been getting along fine with the headset in a USB 2 port. I would chance it and if it doesn't work buy the add on card recommended above.

Soldato
It is possibly to run a Rift only using USB 2 - I think it might have been Melmac, but I know someone round here is running (or at least used to run) a Rift purely on USB 2. I've also seen people on r/oculus who have done the same. Still, results may vary, so don't take it as gospel that it will definitely work.

The technical difference is that with USB 3, the tracking cameras transmit an uncompressed image to your PC, whereas with USB2 the images are jpeg compressed. In theory, USB 3 should offer better, more accurate tracking. In practice, there doesn't really seem to be any difference.

Yeah, that was me, I now run the front sensors in USB 3 ports and the rear ones in USB 2 ports, with my headset in USB 3.

Just a quick explanation. Most people think the sensors are responsible for the tracking, they are part of it, but they aren't the main method of tracking. The primary tracking is done by IMUs(Inertial measurement unit) in the headset and controllers. The problem is that the IMUs drift. The sensors are just used for correcting that drift.

Associate
I have just two devices plugged into the Inateck card, these are the sensors.

I tried 1 sensor and the hmd (on the recommendation of melmac iirc) in the Inateck but that didn't work. So thinking about it, I don't know what is disconnecting, could be the hmd or a sensor.

Was thinking about getting the 4 controller 4 port StarTech or Sonnet card but for that sort of money I'm thinking maybe better to use money on a Z77 motherboard. That has Intel native usb and better sata.

Soldato
I have just two devices plugged into the Inateck card, these are the sensors.

I tried 1 sensor and the hmd (on the recommendation of melmac iirc) in the Inateck but that didn't work. So thinking about it, I don't know what is disconnecting, could be the hmd or a sensor.

Was thinking about getting the 4 controller 4 port StarTech or Sonnet card but for that sort of money I'm thinking maybe better to use money on a Z77 motherboard. That has Intel native usb and better sata.

Maybe a faulty Inateck card? If you have it plugged into a short PCIe slot, try moving it into a full length one. Have you a power cable attached to it?

Associate
It is plugged into a full length PCIe slot and powered by a sata power cable.
Just trying to swap the HMD over to the Inateck card and the sensor inthe card over to my motherboard usb 3.0 (only device plugged into motherboard usb 3.0) and Oculus Devices immediately said usb port incompatible, go figure!?
However, I just did the necessary update to 1.26 and upon reboot, everything is reported as happy. First time it's ever done that, usually it says something like low tracking quality or driver update recommended. I'm going to be optimistic. Will test it now!

<update: no not working. hmd is fine on Inateck but sensor doesn't like motherboard>

Soldato
The Inateck card should be able to handle a Sensor and the Headset no problem, if it can't that suggests to me that the card isn't working properly.

Plug your other sensor into a USB 2 port on the motherboard and see what happens.

Soldato
Question for OC: Is it possible to come to the store and try out VR?

You hear about people who get motion sickness when they try to use it - I'd hate to shell out £400 and then find out I couldn't even use it.

Back
Top Bottom