7700k & 1070 build for £1185

Associate
Keen to get people's thoughts on the below, I've just ordered the following for £1185 but unsure if it's the best possible system for the money. I am likely to be playing 1080p at 60/144hz for the next three years or so and wouldn't want to upgrade anything in this period.

Processor

Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

CPU Cooler

*Build Promo* Alpenfohn Matterhorn Black CPU Cooler - 120mm

Motherboard

*Build Promo* Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Memory

Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G30

Graphics Card

*Build Promo* Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Turbo 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

Primary Solid State Drive

*Build Promo* Samsung 250GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

Secondary Drive

*Build Promo* Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD - OEM

Power Supply

*Build Promo* Kolink Core Series 700W 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Lighting

Not wanted

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)

Security Software

Not wanted

Build Time

Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days

Soldato
Hi

Not much wrong with it, although there are new Intel cpu's due around October.

An i7 7700K and GTX 1070 will see you well at 1080p though.

I would have gone with a better power supply myself. Something like a Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be enough for a single gpu. Might not be an option in the system builder, but you can request ocuk to put it in. If you have only just ordered it today then you might be able to swap it.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £95.45
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Hi Lee

Thanks for looking over it - I often get anxious once I've made a purchase of this nature. They had a couple of options but it added more than it's value to the total cost as it's a promotional offer apparently. They reassured me that although not an established brand they're good enough.

Soldato
Hi Lee

Thanks for looking over it - I often get anxious once I've made a purchase of this nature. They had a couple of options but it added more than it's value to the total cost as it's a promotional offer apparently. They reassured me that although not an established brand they're good enough.

been saying that for a while on here when I spec the PSU. not the strongest across the rail but used in OCUK builds and OEM sin't to bad and their flagship stuff can put some of the more known brands to shame

would have suggested 2TB HDD instead of 1TB and push for a 144hz monitor!

Soldato
That brand power supply is not very commonly used in the lower segments, it's a cheap brand so I can't imagine being a 700w makes a difference.

If you list the model of the prebuilt people might be able to advise you better on the power supply front from whatever the options be, wouldn't trust a no brand for that build that's for sure

Soldato
That brand power supply is not very commonly used in the lower segments, it's a cheap brand so I can't imagine being a 700w makes a difference.

If you list the model of the prebuilt people might be able to advise you better on the power supply front from whatever the options be, wouldn't trust a no brand for that build that's for sure

I think OCUK use the PSU a lot for their lower end builds - and have to cover the warranty for it - i've bought tens so far and been ok. for its budget its fine but if you can put a little more into , go for it for extra piece of mind :)
*also their OEM is quite large*

and since its a pre-build through OCUK, our covered by warranty if any thing goes wrong etc etc etc

Associate
OP
Went ahead and bought the system. Put it through its paces and GPU doesn't get above 70 in games. 144 FPS on battlegrounds on a mixture of settings - really pleased with it.

Soldato
If you know what your doing and theirs no warranty sticker on the screws on the Asus card. Replace stock thermal paste with thermal Grizzlie Non Metal paste and you'll see a good 5c knocked off

Back
Top Bottom