1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7700K @ 5Ghz 1.35v (delidded)... air cooler?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Legend, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Legend

Mobster

Is an air cooler such as the Cryorig H7 or Dark Rock 3 sufficient here? Case is limited to 160mm so that rules out the DRP3 at 163mm. I cannot abide the Noctua fans so while the D15 might fit, I just couldn't live with it as I have big glass window.

2. mickyflinn

Soldato

3. Danny75

Mobster

The Cryorig H7 is not good enough to comfortably handle the load temps for Kaby i7 at 1.35v, in my experience (YMMV due to ambient temps/case temps). It's really in the twilight zone of coolers - not really good for overclocking much and not really a cheap replacement for a stock cooler either. Then again, how much will the particular delidding affect this? Seems to vary from chip to chip. The Cryorig H7 QUAD Lumi is a bit better and would also fit (4 heatpipes instead of 3 but more expensive due to that and the RGB). Micky's suggestion is a lot of cooling for the money.

4. Legend

Mobster

How about the Dark Rock 3 (non-Pro)? My 7700k is de-lidded, so that helps temps somewhat. The Alpenfohn seems OK, but I can afford something better... the DRP3 seems to trounce it, and although I can't fit that in my case, I could get the Dark Rock 3 (non-pro) in there.

I was also looking a the Kraken X62, although from reviews it doesn't seem anything special, and it's nearly x3 more expensive than the Dark Rock 3.

5. Danny75

Mobster

Sounds good.

The Kraken X62 you're paying for top tier AIO cooling, the sweet led rings effect and for 6 years of warranty.

I put together an incomplete list of <160mm coolers the other day, if you'd like to browse it too: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/upgrade-or-new-pc.18786409/#post-30974336

6. orbitalwalsh

Wise Guy

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30987390/

was using a shadow rock slim- only as a cover till I got the water up and running and was surprised that it handled the heat well- but im guessing most of this was due to the de-lid but 4.9Ghz @ 1.36v with it actually pulling 1.38!