• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7700K --> 9700K / 9900K

Associate
Would I benefit from moving to a ninth gen processor? I game at 3440x1440 100hz.

95% of my usage is gaming. Sometimes I do some encoding stuff but it's rare.

Is four cores completely outdated now? If I don't upgrade now I'll upgrade next year for sure with 10th gen.

Soldato
Check your CPU and GPU usage simply put by checking readout's / graphs.

Are all core's maxed all the time and GPU usage low, then sure you may see a benefit, if its your GPU which is normally maxed / at limit, then not so much.

For 100hz, the 7700k should be fine to hit those sorts of FPS in most games, more so if you overclock it.

Associate
I would wait.

The new cpus would be an upgrade, but for gaming i think you are safe at that res until next year at least.

See what zen 2 from amd brings and how or if intel respond to it.

Caporegime
Would I benefit from moving to a ninth gen processor? I game at 3440x1440 100hz.

Is four cores completely outdated now? If I don't upgrade now I'll upgrade next year for sure with 10th gen.

Your are 4 cores 4 threads so in essence , for want for a better word 8 virtual cores...
The 7700k at your res is fine no question and upgrading to a 8700k or 9900k will yield little gains as at that res you are GPU bound.

Associate

You are still fine for gaming right now.

But of course, if you really want Intel 9th gen then go for it, if it makes you feel happy and you can afford it. :)

Associate
I was in the same position, I really wanted the 9900k to be an upgrade so I could get a new CPU (currently 7700k). Looking at benchmarks for pure gaming there is basically no difference. Instead I delidded my CPU now running at 5.2 ghz and probably getting a similar percentage uplift than I would have from an upgrade.

If you were going to upgrade anyway something to look into.

Caporegime
basically its £1000 for 20-30 fps max and a smoother experience. is that worth it to you ?

7700k go for about 150 ish good clocker you may get more on ebay. so say top end £250-300 for mobo ram and good cpu.

at moment in a ideal world you want for best performance 6 cores at high clock. for modern gaming. the high core speed is keeping the i7s up there in games. yet a slightly slower 6 core cpu will feel better in many games. is it worth it ? only you know. i wouldnt pay £1000 to go from 4.5 upwards to a 9 series chip just for gaming.unless money isnt a issue.

Associate
Everyone's circumstances are different - I've been busting to upgrade for around 3-4 years now but adult life has got in the way. My CPU does struggle in certain scenarios but when I actually think about it, does it degrade my experience that much in the games I play that it detracts from my enjoyment? Not at all - even though my CPU is a first gen i7 standard Xeon the majority of games I play, barring the Bethesda Fallout stuff and to an extent Forza, are GPU bound at the res I play at. To me, the idea of forking out £400-£500 on a new CPU/RAM and mobo just purely to get a bit more out of my 1080ti doesn't seem that worth it at the moment. However, I do understand the need to up the core count at some stage, and as pointed out in this thread, that day is coming soon enough with the advent of the new consoles, so when that comes around I'll be jumping into bed with Zen 2. If I was sitting on a 7700k now i'd be more than happy tbh.

Associate
OK I'll sit this generation out, especially since I can't be bothered to do a new build - very busy with work atm too.
I've missed out on 5 generation in total. My current setup has served my 7 years and I'm only part refurbing it with new kit.
As @Wommers mentioned, all our circumstances are different and what we want to achieve with our setups. I like to get the most out of my kit and identified now as a good time to upgrade since I'm seeing signs of age on my 2700k.
Still though the hardware is going to be re-purposed as it's an amazing chip which has run OC'd on air for a few years now. It will be retired into a media PC which almost seems wasteful :(

Back
Top Bottom