• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GS 256 AGP OR X1950PRO 512 AGP

Associate
Hi i`m looking at upgrading my AGP system which has a 7800gs card
Will it be worth it upgrading to the x1950 pro 512 AGP card
I have a e2180 overclocked to 2.9ghz
2 gig of cheap ram
I cant` afford to upgrade to pci but my current card is struggling with a few new games
Thanks
Steve

Soldato
i would say don;t do it. i have explained here why not to:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=10580591&postcount=6

read up on the rage3d forums more about these driver issues. i made the mistake in getting the 1950pro agp since they discontinued driver support for it.
i shoudl have got a asrock 4core dual-vsta board which would take ddr 400mhz ram and a e2180cpu and get clocking with it and a pci-e version of the x1950pro.
oh well, no one to blame other than ati.

Associate
supposingly they will release a HD3850 for AGP, dunno if theur driver support will be up to par though.

I say go for nvidia, or wait til you have money to build a new rig, the asrock mobo is only PCIe x 4 FYI

Soldato
your agp card is quite quick as it is. so not really much point in going for anything newer. iv noticed now that my xp-m2600 @2.4ghz is slowing down in a lot of the newer games like bioshock and UT3, the gfx card can cope but when a lot of action kicks in the framerate drops badly and im running a rez of 1360x768 on the x1950pro agp i have.

one good advantage of the x1950pro is that its good in games like half life 2 where i can run at 1360x768 with all ingame details to max and also use 6xAA and 16xAF and still get 50fps+ 90% of the time. its just newer games are slapping the cpu around more.
if by some miracle ati decide to pull out new drivers for the agp variants of the x19 series cards then it could be worth you getting a x1950pro to tide you over till mid next year.

luckly the x1950pro pc i have is just mainly used for battlefield 2 and GRAW multiplayer so its still holding up well in those games.

nvidia do have a 7950gt i believe for agp but i think its a proper rip on the price tag.

Back
Top Bottom