• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800GTX........a dilemma ?

Associate
Just over a week ago I order a XFX7800GT from the BGrade section (this was on the 15th so a bit before Gibbo's annoucement on the special deals)
Anyway it looks like I got caught up in the same problem as other peeps with the lack of stock. Well yesterday I got a nice surprise....XFX7800GTX, I've plugged it in and all seems to be well, gave it a run through SeriousSam2, FEAR and Oblivion without any difficulties.
Now my problem is that my system did already have a 7800GT and I was buying a second for SLI, now that I've got the GTS I can't do that.

so my options are.......
keep the GTX and sell the GT
Keep the GT and return the GTX (as techincally it wasn't what I ordered), and then maybe try and get another GT later on.

Now before you start I'm not compaining I got a better card ! OCUK have been quite good in this respect as most companies would have made us wait until the stock came in.....(yes I know some missed out......but c'est la vie :p )

So what do you think I should do ?

Last edited:
Soldato
kbc said:
Sell both cards and get a 7900GT(X)? :)

But I think glen's option might be a nicer one. :)

Now that's an idea. Sell them both and get a 7900GTX with money spare. Might be able to afford something like a better mouse or a soundcard perhaps?

Associate
OP
hmmm those are some good ideas....especially the 7900GTX one !

or do you think I should put a CPU upgrade before it ?

current specs......
Athlon 64 3700
Asus A8N Sli
2Gb Corsair TwinX Pro PC3500

Soldato
I have no idea how much the 7800 series are worth on the second hand market but:

sell

7800GT
7800GTX
AMD 3700

buy

7900GTX
AMD 4400+ X2

anyone know how much he'll likely have to put towards it?

Associate
OP
I think I'll sell the GT and recoup some if not all of the GTX cost, then I'll wait for the 7900 prices to drop a bit more

BTW whats the normal temp range for the GTX, idle is high 50's and load in the early 70's ?

cheers for the suggestions anyway !

Back
Top Bottom