• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7850 or 6970? No OC

Associate
Have narrowed decision to these two, standard 7850, and a 6970 with core at 940mhz out of the box. Found at same price as 7850

I have no interest in OC, just standard gaming and work (BF3, COD, COH, DE:HR)

3 monitors, 2 1080p, 1 1440 x 900.

If i game I do it on one of the 1080p monitors.

Which card would be best for me?

Cheers

Associate
OP
ok paul, i wasn't sure if the utilies that you get are worth using. I presume from your post they are?

If thats the case, and I do overclock, i assume you would go 7850?

Associate
If you plan to overclock then definitely get the 7850. Lots of folks will help you out if you are unsure. As Jarrod said, new drivers will improve the card even further.

Using catalyst control centre is completely safe, just be careful if you use another program and start messing about with voltages.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, decision made, cheers for the input.

What are people using for overclock? I assume its not out of the box software they give you? Is something like msi afterburner the right thing?

I'll be getting the VTX 7850 from ocuk.

Associate
Ok, decision made, cheers for the input.

What are people using for overclock? I assume its not out of the box software they give you? Is something like msi afterburner the right thing?

I'll be getting the VTX 7850 from ocuk.

Good choice, I should get mine tomorrow from OCUK (I changed my mind from the HD6950 2GB that's on pre-order at the moment.)

The tool that you want, I believe, is here.

See this thread

Last edited:
Soldato
6970 will be a little faster at stock, but 7850 will use less power and run cooler. The 7850 is also a much smaller card. At stock, it is a hard call.

Overclocked, the 7850 is a fair bit faster.

Back
Top Bottom