• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GT SLI or X1900XT-X

Soldato
Hi folks,

Has anybody come across a comparision of a 7900GT SLI setup to a X1900XT-X?

I'm wanting to run at 1440x900 with max aa and af so wondered which might give the better overall performance.

Steve

Soldato
J1nxy said:
Hi folks,

Has anybody come across a comparision of a 7900GT SLI setup to a X1900XT-X?

I'm wanting to run at 1440x900 with max aa and af so wondered which might give the better overall performance.

Steve

Well if you want HDR and AA then the X1900XTX is the only choice although i would say the 2 7900GTs would be faster

Soldato
I think it's safe to say that a dual-7900GT setup would offer much better performance in very high resolutions, especially if you're planning to use any antialiasing etc. with it too.

Associate
Well, I can give a first hand comparison of an X1900XT-X against a 7900GTX SLi setup at 1920x1200.

Only had the SLi setup a few days now. On COD2 the difference in settings and fps was huge:

On the X1900XT-X the settings were approx medium across the board, and the fps were just acceptable =>30 most of the time.

On the 7900GTX Sli setup, the settings are completely maxed out, and the fps =>30 99% of the time.

Oblivion performance is also a lot better with the SLi setup.

The HDR issue didn't bother me,as in Oblivion at the resolution I run at, I dont really notice no AA anyway. Everything else is maxed out.

As a side note, the new nVidia cards run very cool. The GTX cooler is extremely quiet as well. Both GTX's running together are far quieter than the single X1900XT-X was. You can change the stock cooler's though anyway.

SIDE NOTE:

This time I have kept my old graphics card (7800GTX EE) as a backup for when I sell the 7900GTX cards. You get a right royal kicking in the crown jewels when you sell these things when the next gen cards come out. IE

Bought X1900XT-X for £350.00
Sold X1900XT-X for £260.00 one month later

Bought 7800GTX Extreme Edition for £412.00 October 2005
Now only worth about £170.00 to £180.00

Associate
Yeah, you're right. I just couldn't be bothered to have to buy a new mobo and reinstall everything again.

It's the same old, ame old with these things.

nVidia win's some tests, ATI win's some tests. As long as I get playable fps at 1920x1200 with everything maxed out if possible, I'm happy.

Associate
yeah too true. If you can afford sli then that would be the way to go if you want to play at high resolutions. I use a normal tft at the moment and for the resolutions the monitor supports a single high powered card is perfect. It depends on what you're looking for.

Associate
Just looked at your sig mate, and your spec is very similar to mine.

I've crammed this into a HTPC case for use in my lounge with a Dell2405

So like you say, the only difference is the resolution of the display really.

I struggled with one card at the spec I wanted, so I needed two cards.

Wether Crossfire or SLi, didn't matter, both are great at high res.

Soldato
J1nxy said:
7900GT not 7900GTX

Thought so, seems we've gone off on a GTX tangent...... ;)

Well, I reckon you are best off going for a single card now with the option to add another later.....therefore either the X1900XT (or XT-X) or 7900GTX.....both options should cost less than 7900GT SLI......and you can add another card later (depending on SLi or Crossfire mobo....) :D

Back
Top Bottom