• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7950 Crossfire vs 680 SLI at 5760*1080 (Eyefinity/Surround)

Soldato
OP
That score puts me 5th highest 2 GPU score on Heaven. Not bad for a pair of £260 cards. :)

Anyway, triple screen time - I'll do BF3 as that's the most interesting then I'm going to bed... I'm absolutely knackered. Oh need to give away a Sleeping Dogs code before bed too!

Soldato
OP
Indeed. I decided earlier today that I'm going to complete these benches then sell two monitors and go back to single screen. This will include DSR'ing the hot card.

I just don't play enough to have £600 of monitor sitting on the desk doing nothing.

Will give everyone the info they want first though :).

Soldato
90+c was par for the course with my 8800 GTXs

It's a bit warm by todays standards however.

Thanks for the research Rusty. It is worth being a member of this forum just for tests and benchmarks like this.
I am sure that many users will appreciate your efforts.

Soldato
Indeed. I decided earlier today that I'm going to complete these benches then sell two monitors and go back to single screen. This will include DSR'ing the hot card.

I just don't play enough to have £600 of monitor sitting on the desk doing nothing.

Will give everyone the info they want first though :).

I packed away one of my monitors, never really got on with eyefinity...just never felt right :(
I couldn't ditch the other monitor though, having the extra screen space is too much to give up, love it.

Soldato
OP
I've got a spare monitor in the garage for that :D.

Card 2 - 65c, Card 1 - 92c.

LOOOL

Even considering Card 1 will be hotter due to card 2 dumping air on it... card 1 was at 85c on its own!

Soldato
OP
Drum roll please... BF3 results are in. I did it 3 times to be sure I wasn't going mad... it's a LOT faster. More than I expected.

And you have to bear in mind I can't go a MHz above 1150 on the core due to my retarded top card. Graph incoming for those interested.

Then I will then bench the rest tomorrow evening with my window open and send back the piece of ****. :D No more partial results after this.

Soldato
OP
bf3multicomp.png

Bearing in mind how rubbish my top card is, I would say a pair of half decent 7970's could extend my results by 10%!

I'm approximately 25% faster at this resolution with 7950 crossfire over 680 SLI. Very impressive results considering I was slower at 1080p with the same clock speeds.

There is a very big "BUT" though which I will attempt to explain tomorrow when I've completed all the games I said I would.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bearing in mind how rubbish my top card is, I would say a pair of half decent 7970's could extend my results by 10%!

I'm approximately 25% faster at this resolution with 7950 crossfire over 680 SLI. Very impressive results considering I was slower at 1080p with the same clock speeds.

There is a very big "BUT" though which I will attempt to explain tomorrow when I've completed all the games I said I would.

not suprised, bf3 scaling and 7900 series at that resolution isnt bandwidth bound.

Soldato
I packed away one of my monitors, never really got on with eyefinity...just never felt right :(
I couldn't ditch the other monitor though, having the extra screen space is too much to give up, love it.

I was exactly the same with Nvidia surround.

I've just found out that Crossfire with eyefinity has pretty big problems on the Rampage 4 motherboards.

So however good these results, it doesn't look like AMD cards are an option. Unless I don't use eyefinity, but if I'm only gaming at 1080p is it going to make a lot of difference if I got 670 SLI or 79750/70 Crossfire...

Still interested in these results though.

Soldato
Very impressive.
Rusty, any chance you could bench CF 5760 on "Going Hunting" please? Just so i can add it to the benchmark thread graphs. That also gives my 7970s something to compare against.

Mine are 1225/1725 though, is that average or decent for CF?

Soldato
OP
Very impressive.
Rusty, any chance you could bench CF 5760 on "Going Hunting" please? Just so i can add it to the benchmark thread graphs. That also gives my 7970s something to compare against.

Mine are 1225/1725 though, is that average or decent for CF?

If I get time - wanna get it sent back to OcUK on Saturday morning and I got the other games to bench first.

That's assuming card 1 doesn't spontaneously combust before then.

Right I'm going to bed - I will conclude this all tomorrow so that everyone can read what I have to say and have a look at the numbers when complete.

On the face of it so far AMD just shouldn't have competition in the high res bracket. You could sell your 670's/680's and swap to 7950's, make money on the change and get better performance on paper.

It just makes nVidia's cards look like a bit paradoxical almost. They make it so easy to go surround with the connections on them and decent SLI drivers but throttle them back with a 256 bit bus which as my BF3 results have shown is quite the limiter at this resolution considering my good 7950 was actually slower on the same 1150/1700 clocks @ 1080p.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom