• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7970 horrible temps!

Associate
OP
my Wife has been playing CIV 5 temps now after closing CIV 5 a few mins ago are at 62 Degrees with just web browser on!

Man of Honour
my card which was overclocked to 1200mhz by 1500 is hitting 92 degrees when my wife has been playing CIV 5 for hours. I have only noticed it since the change to my ASUS 1440p monitor. the card actually overheated and crashed whilst playin BF3. Is my card faulty or is it just the demands of 1440p? I have removed the overclock and the card is idling at 50 ish, with the overclock it was hitting 70 plus. Are these temps a worry? the card is less than 6 months old.

Try the card with some other games and benchmarks to check temps.

I play Civ 5 a lot and find it can heat a system up a lot more than most things as it stresses the CPU and GPU a lot.

Now if only some of the programs people use to stress test their systems like Prime95 could do the same.

Soldato
speed now is 1050 mem is at 1425 volts 1068 fan is at 39%

Wait, your idle clock is 1050/1425? It should be much lower than that. That would explain your high idle temps. 92C is hot though. What voltage were you running to get those 1200/1500 clocks?

Soldato
They wont find out on that card, unless you tell them.
4 screws just over the core, no stickers and no pads on the memory.

If it sorts your problem out, it saves any messing about with RMA and waiting etc you might as well.

Soldato
Wait, your idle clock is 1050/1425? It should be much lower than that. That would explain your high idle temps. 92C is hot though. What voltage were you running to get those 1200/1500 clocks?

1050/1425 is the stock clocks for the X-edition it is factory overclocked. One fo the bios positions will give stock 7970 clocks the other the X-edition clocks.

Associate
1050/1425 is the stock clocks for the X-edition it is factory overclocked. One fo the bios positions will give stock 7970 clocks the other the X-edition clocks.

Thats not what he asked, idle clocks shouldn't be that high as you don't need the 3d clocks for desktop browsing, it should be 150/300 in idle/2d clocks.

Sounds like its not clocking down to idle. Think its an issue with afterburner its worth O/P doing a google search on the issue.

Caporegime
Idle should be 35-45, anything higher is not a good sign. I idle at 37 when its cold and 40-42 when its warm.

Try using this fan profile in afterburner and see if it brings temps down. :)

NHERk.jpg

This one is slightly more aggressive

mv8OH.jpg

If neither of those can keep it cool enough id back off the overclock or RMA.

speed now is 1050 mem is at 1425 volts 1068 fan is at 39%

See my post above.

Soldato
Thats not what he asked, idle clocks shouldn't be that high as you don't need the 3d clocks for desktop browsing, it should be 150/300 in idle/2d clocks.

Sounds like its not clocking down to idle. Think its an issue with afterburner its worth O/P doing a google search on the issue.

My bad misread..

The 7970 I'm using at the moment on latest 12.11 is dropping to 300 core 150 mem...

O/P have you tried removing all clocking software and a fresh driver install ?

Associate
OP
ok I removed all OCs on GPU then I cleaned out the PC, removed the card and put it in a different slot (there was a strange error with the top slot previously so the card was in the second slot down on the MB). I turned the fans on the h100 on to the max settings. I booted up and still 50 odd on idle.

BUT then I removed all drivers for the 7970 and installed the 12.11 beta 8 i think I ran an earlier version and the 12.11 caps and now it says 35 Degrees!!!!

Associate
Beta 3's, sounds like it wasn't clocking down after gaming there are some issues with after burner and beta 3's although I haven't noticed anything.

Permabanned
only one screen! room temp is no more than 20 degrees! North London is not much of a dessert!

yes but what are your idle clock speeds showing at on afterburner or whatever utility you use?

I know with NVIDIA if you have power management mode in "prefer max performance" then the idle clock speeds increase thus the temps go up.

I don't know if AMD has something similar.

Back
Top Bottom