£7k.....TDCi Mondeo

Soldato
You could pick up a sub 50k 2002-2003 2.0TDCi Zetec S/Ghia X all depends what you fancy really.

Thats quite a bit of money to play with in second hand mondeo land though, you will do well.

Soldato
wonder_lander said:
What are the main differences between those two models and is auto trader my only source?
Basically a Zetec-S looks better from the outside and a Ghia X has loads more toys on the inside.

Doing 30k a year it's a simple choice to make and at the end of the day it's a Mondeo and most people would not be able to tell the external difference of the two.

I am not so clued up on Mk3's but check from knocking from the rear suspension. The bushes wear every 30k-ish. Originally this would cost you ~£300 but Ford have now released only the necessary parts (literally a couple of quid) as opposed to the kit which I think included a new rear ARB or something?

Also, check the engine for any signs of coolant leaks, especially around the back of the headlight area, it is one specific side but I have forgotten which.

Manual, 72,000 miles, Fords Finest Mondeo. A REALLY GREAT CAR FOR LITTLE MONEY. Cruise Control giving effortless driving. Climate Control Black Leather Seats for perfect comfort. Factory Fitted SunRoof. Fast Defrost Screens for our cold mornings. Brilliant Heater System and AirCon too. Twin Bags. Alarm. Rev Sensors. ABS. Excellent Sony 6 CD System incorporating the latest steering wheel controls. FSH with only Ford Maintenance. Alloy Wheels. One Lady Driver from new. Absolutely No Accidents. Taxed May 07. Luxurious Comfortable Driving. We Are So Impressed By This Car We Are Selling Only After Buying Another. If you want comfort, a great drive, and a bargain, THIS IS THE CAR FOR YOU. £6,666. ono

Bargain for a 2 year old car!

If you do 30k a year then in 3 years, when the car is 5 it will be on around 160K. I would say the car is easily good enough for these miles but it will start to show it's age. Just general wear and tear, depends how well you look after it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ghia X was the range topper until 2002 when the ST was launched.

Basically the Ghia X has a lot of toys to play with and as mondeos go is quite executive. The zetec s sits lower down in the range and tries to be a bit sportier with its alloys and bodykit.

You could get a very well equiped gear x for your money, electric windows alround, heated seats, climate control, 6 cd changer, cruise control etc etc the list goes on and there are some very nice examples out there.

Id be looking around the 02/03 mark where a nice <50,000 mile ghia x is waiting for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
You want a facelifted 2003> car as the spec of all models improved - anything Zetec and above gained a trip computer, 6 speed gearbox, proper climate control (early high spec cars had a CC system, but it's rubbish) and cruise control as standard. This should be easily acheiveable for your budget - I sold my 2002 Zetec with 53k on the clock for £5k almost a year ago so I can't see it being a problem.

Zetec-S had different bumpers and 18" wheels, but otherwise was a Zetec. Personally I don't think the 18" work well on anything other than the ST, and the tyres are pretty expensive which will soon bump your running costs up.

Ghia adds a bit of chrome and wood, softer suspension than the Zetec models, Sony CD player.

Ghia X is as Ghia plus heated leather, wooden steering wheel, folding mirrors and 17" wheels.

Avoid the LX as they have different seats with less support on the base.

If I were you I'd go for a facelift Zetec or a Ghia. If you can find a Ghia X then fine, but don't pay a premium. I'd take a lower trimmed facelift car over a pre-facelift Ghia X.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom