8 miles of 12500 year old rock paintings found in the amazon

Associate
https://www.demilked.com/prehistoric-paintings-found-in-amazonia/

They were discovered last year but kept a secret to film a documentary on the discovery for channel 4, called Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon. Apparently it's a really had location to travel to and the zone is under constant conflict, which makes it quite dangerous to go there.

How the hell do these paintings survive the weather over time? I can understand why cave paintings would but these seem to be open to the elements.

An even bigger mystery is, after checking through the sample photos, there doesn't seem to be a single penis or set of breasts anywhere!

Man of Honour
Apparently ochre painting on rock can last 30-40K years unless directly exposed to running water for a long time.

Caporegime
film3_ancientaliens2-w.jpg

Soldato
https://www.demilked.com/prehistoric-paintings-found-in-amazonia/

They were discovered last year but kept a secret to film a documentary on the discovery for channel 4, called Jungle Mystery: Lost Kingdoms of the Amazon. Apparently it's a really had location to travel to and the zone is under constant conflict, which makes it quite dangerous to go there.

How the hell do these paintings survive the weather over time? I can understand why cave paintings would but these seem to be open to the elements.

An even bigger mystery is, after checking through the sample photos, there doesn't seem to be a single penis or set of breasts anywhere!
it's confusing, the article calls them cave paintings :-/
love the pic of the cow/whatever middle left of the third pic, hybrid of a dachshund apparently. appears to be some giant spider attacking someone in the 7th pic, and i'm pretty sure that's a corona virus coming to kill people that the guy's pointing to a couple pics below.
there are a couple of penises, by the way.

Caporegime
I thought we weren't allowed to mention Amazon on the OCUK forum? :o
Heard you get tempo banned if you say jeff bezos 3 times in the mirror

Apparently ochre painting on rock can last 30-40K years unless directly exposed to running water for a long time.

seems it does last though saw an article 2018 talking about cave paintings
Because ochre is a mineral, it doesn't wash away or decay, allowing it to persist through the ages. "Its vibrant color and ability to adhere to surfaces — including the human body — make it an ideal crayon or paint base," said April Nowell, a paleolithic archaeologist and professor and chair at the Department of Anthropology at the University of Victoria in Canada

some cave paintings look more like rust stains though left behind when the clay washed away from the ochre

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder what they used to get the elevation to paint on the rocks higher up, can't imagine they had the technology for scaffolding or ladders 12,000 years ago

Also why are our ancestors so rubbish at art prior to the ancient Sumerian/Greek/Egytians ?

Associate
The images indicate that they probably made some kind of rudimentary scaffolding.

There are a fair few grid looking images that would make for strong structures, some even resemble scaffolding towers.

Pretty amazing stuff, looks like a relatively ordered society, some of the images look like they could possibly even be animal cages for early attempts at animal husbandry.

Edit: Actually, I think I've figured it out within a very high probability of what they did.

Numerous images include what are likely 2 straight tree trunks with smaller branches lashed together in X formations to make a very rigid ladder structure.

Leant against the wall, these would be excellent ladders that an artist could lean against for hours on end. Wouldn't need to be that strong either.

They pretty much tell us how the did it in the images. Absolutely incredible stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would the topography have changed much? Could have had ice up to that level or not far of or something?

Can't see them climbing up to paint stuff that none could see.

Back
Top Bottom