8 Pack Intel Core i5 6400 @ 4.4GHz Overclocked Quad Core Gaming Bundle

Associate
Hello sir,

I have the above bundle in my system, running great.

I bought it with 8GB RAM and would like to upgrade to 16GB RAM. Am I ok to add additional 2 x 4GB sticks, or do I need to change things in the BIOS profile to maintain the overclock? Are the settings in the profile reliant on only 2 sticks being present?

Many thanks.

Associate
Hi

I am not 8Pack, but I am sure you shouldn't mix RAM. Best will be to buy single kit of 2x8GB or 4x4GB. But not add another kit. Even if same manufacturer, model, timings and even damn colour of heatsink, it is mixing. Mixing may cause instabilities, especially on DDR4.

Soldato
My solution would be to buy 2 x 8GB sticks and sell or keep the 4GB sticks. 16GB should be enough though. I personally prefer to use two equal modules in a dual channel memory rather than four however there is no real reason why not to.

Adding two additional sticks should not mean changes to the bios unless the additional memory requires you to do an F1 reset at the first boot after fitting. This will not clear existing settings.

Associate
How does buying a 4x4GB kit differ from adding another 2x4GB kit of identical RAM?
The difference is of not being matched (by Serial Number at manufacturer's place). DDR4 is very picky on matched kits, and often, buying 2x[X]GB now, and another kit (that is "exactly the same") causes issues. There is a reason why you have 2x and 4x kits. And even 8x for Extreme chipsets. 1 batch differs from the other. Do as you wish, but my advise is to stay away from mixing.
Matched kit is tested and guaranteed to work. I cannot remember which manufacturer has T&C available, mentioning that they do not recommend, and not guarantee mixing the RAM to work. There is a reason why 4x4GB costs slightly more than if you would buy 2x 2x4GB.

Back
Top Bottom