£800 budget for clothes for cycling.

Soldato
My 2nd cycle scheme is about to finish and i want to start a 3rd one just for clothes ect.

Budget is £800 which will include.
Bib shorts/long bibs
New shoes (spd)
Helmet
Tops
Socks
Lock
Light's (for both bikes)x2
Cycling glasses (these are a must as i use them all the time)

What would you get for that budget ?

Soldato
Depends what you like the fit/ look of, you could probably get 90% of that from aldi for under £200, if you want matching designer gear you might struggle with that budget.

Can you use cyclescheme just for clobber, I thought you had to buy a bike?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Depends what you like the fit/ look of, you could probably get 90% of that from aldi for under £200, if you want matching designer gear you might struggle with that budget.

Can you use cyclescheme just for clobber, I thought you had to buy a bike?

You can use it for accessorizes as well.

Cant use lidl as they are not on the cycle scheme plus i don't want lidl stuff to be honest.

Man of Honour
You can indeed use cyclescheme for accessories/clothing. I used it for two pairs of shoes and a helmet a year or so ago.

@Schizo

I wouldn't bother with socks or the lock in there tbh...and even lights might be not great. Essentially these items are so expensive if not bought separately that it's not worth using the scheme for.

One of the main things that will drive your purchase decision is what is available from the place you plan to buy from. Do you happen to know that?

Regarding shoes I'd get some SPD ones that are regarded as 'racing' shoes. Having a light carbon sole and decent retention mechanism is so massively more comfortable than MTB-style SPD shoes. My Sidi Dragons are super comfortable (though you probably don't need to spend quite that much). You may also want to consider winter/waterproof shoes if you plan to commute.

Soldato
OP
I will be using either of these shops,i have used both to get my bikes from and they have been great.

http://www.cycle-revolution.net/

http://www.elmycycles.co.uk/

I do want some waterproof bits as i will be commuting later on again(shoulder injury at the moment)

I have some shoes (specialized,not sure what model as the box is in the loft) which aren't to comfy to be honest.

Also,my color theme is black,red and white as they are the colors of my bikes,the clothes i have now (cheap) are black and red.

Soldato
if you buy strategically throughout the year sales/ebay you can get most articles cheaper than through cycle scheme (cycle scheme is only saving the tax no ?)

High value items that are infrequently on sales eg. goretex rain gear/shoes would be where my budget gos, consumables like tyres/chain rings/cassette too is that possible ?

The recently advertised clothing sales on road cycling thread a good resource too, as FrenchTart said individual shops invariably do not have all the brands you like and know the sizing/quality.

For lights can buy spare brackets to use lights on all bikes (maybe that is what you meant)

Soldato
OP
if you buy strategically throughout the year sales/ebay you can get most articles cheaper than through cycle scheme (cycle scheme is only saving the tax no ?) I would like to use either of the shops listed

High value items that are infrequently on sales eg. goretex rain gear/shoes would be where my budget gos, consumables like tyres/chain rings/cassette too is that possible ?i would like some decent clothees to be honest,the rest can come when they fail and need replacing

The recently advertised clothing sales on road cycling thread a good resource too, as FrenchTart said individual shops invariably do not have all the brands you like and know the sizing/quality.Just need a insight as to what is the best stuff really,there would coming from either shop

For lights can buy spare brackets to use lights on all bikes (maybe that is what you meant)yes,that would be a good idea to be honest,thanks

Soldato
Both those places you linked don't really have any kit I would recommend, I couldn't find any clothing from elmycycles?

£800 would get you everything you need, but do you have anywhere else you can use the voucher?

Soldato
OP
Both those places you linked don't really have any kit I would recommend, I couldn't find any clothing from elmycycles?

£800 would get you everything you need, but do you have anywhere else you can use the voucher?

I could use the voucher anywhere that deals with the scheme,personally i would like to try the clothes on but might have to look further afield,elmys do clothes but there not on there website.

Soldato
I could use the voucher anywhere that deals with the scheme,personally i would like to try the clothes on but might have to look further afield,elmys do clothes but there not on there website.

Wiggle would be a good shout if you can use them, their DHB stuff is really good, got me through the winter & summer thus far + you can grab some other brands that we're all quite familiar with like Castelli/Sportful etc.

Can be a bit of a pain if you don't know your size however, find it to be a bit of an annoyance at times.

Soldato
OP
Wiggle would be a good shout if you can use them, their DHB stuff is really good, got me through the winter & summer thus far + you can grab some other brands that we're all quite familiar with like Castelli/Sportful etc.

Can be a bit of a pain if you don't know your size however, find it to be a bit of an annoyance at times.

Good shout,ill get myself measured correctly and see what they have.

Soldato
cycle-revolution.net list Oakley optics as a brand but I could not see any of their glasses on the web-site so I guess they may generally, have more in the shop/orderable than web site shows.
[maybe they price match too to some degree -recently found Halfords matched Evans]

Wiggle has free returns (regular non-cycle-scheme purchase anyway) so can order 2 shoes / bibs etc. to get the sizing right (or 3 if its Santini)

Soldato
dhb from wiggle is a good starting place. Bib shorts, shoes, tops etc.

Get some Foakleys - fake oakleys from aliexpress etc - cheap and cheerful, work perfectly well and you don't worry if you drop/scratch them as they are about $15 to replace.

Back
Top Bottom