£8000. What would you get?

Soldato
Focus ST would get my vote for this money but the running costs are key, how many miles per year are you likely to be doing in it? The Focus ST sounds great and is amongst as accomplished an all round hot hatch as you'll get for 8k, but its not great on fuel...

Associate
OP
To be honest, fuel isn't a massive issue. I do maybe 10-11k a year. Have seen a couple of facelift 08 ST3's for around £8.5k which is interesting..

Soldato
Love the mondeo mk4 2.5t estate that I got for 7.5k.Its remapped so should have 260-270bhp. Suprisingly fast but still comfortable and massive boot. But sounds like you're after something smaller.

Soldato
The residuals seem pretty rubbish on the 2.5T making them an excellent second-owner purchase.

Titanium X Sport (not to be confused with Titanium X with Sport pack) is the one to go for but unsure if they're at this price point yet. I had a Titanium X Estate with 18's, 2.0TDCi and on the whole was a good car.

The "Sport pack" has 18" wheels, spoiler and different suspension. The Sport model has different bumpers and looks better. Most of them have a better spec too like active cruise control.

Last edited:
Soldato
The residuals seem pretty rubbish on the 2.5T making them an excellent second-owner purchase.

Titanium X Sport (not to be confused with Titanium X with Sport pack) is the one to go for but unsure if they're at this price point yet. I had a Titanium X Estate with 18's, 2.0TDCi and on the whole was a good car.

The "Sport pack" has 18" wheels, spoiler and different suspension. The Sport model has different bumpers and looks better. Most of them have a better spec too like active cruise control.

The 2.5T Titanium X Sport is very rare. Apparently around a 100 according to howmanyleft.com. I've been searching for one and only found one 150miles from where I am from a car supermarket. Granted the price is decent at £9000 with nav included but the place doesn't seem to get positive reviews or else I'd have got it myself. The rest of the Titanium X sports (until the facelift) are the 200ps 2L Ecoboost models but they are easily in the 12k+ region.

For £8K, a Titanium X with Sports pack is more likely.

Soldato
I have just sold an FN2 Type R after running one for 3 years. It's now attracting the wrong image! Combined with the horrifically thin paint and back breaking ride, I got rid.

Think I'll go for a decently specced Golf GTi. Any links to decent ones would be great!

The Golf is literally twice as good as the FN2 Type R.

Associate
OP
Wow, that was a quick decision and purchase!

Yeah been looking at the GTi and the R32 for quite some time. Randomly searching this morning I spotted one I hadn't seen before.

Its a march 2006 (very last of the lower tax), manual, 5 door with full leather.

Back
Top Bottom